Scandisk

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Hard drive related: Scandisk
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Gerry on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 06:53 am:

Hi

Will the experts please tell me how to get Scandisk to:
1. Run faster
2. Run on it's own without having to sit there
and keep it going by clicking "Start".

It takes all day, and then it can not even finish
the job.

Any person who can advise me on this will add ten years to my life!

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 06:37 pm:

Lots of people have asked about this - make sure you don't have anything running in the background. If you press CTRL-ALT-DEL all together, you'll get Task Manager. Close everything except "Explorer" and "Systray" (highlight the program, and click "End task").

Then scandisk should run OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jerome W. Cowan on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 04:36 am:

Greetings, I don't know what was wrong with my first attempt, oh well. Anything to get the assistance I need.

I am running Win 95 on a 686 pentium computer. The hard drive is partioned into C, D, E, and F drives. I have no difficulty with the scan disk and defrag of the last three drives. The C drive is another story. When I scan disk it the program runs for 15-20 minutes and flashes a message on the screen that it has tried 10 times to scan disk and can't do it. Same with defrag. The last time I tried these actions I received a notice that it had been 186 days since the last defrag.

One of my friends suggested that I try starting my computer in safe mode and try and scan disk and defrag there.

I have Windows 95 for Dummies and Windows Secrets (1126 pages). Neither manual tell how to start a computer in safe mode. Any assistance anyone can give me would be deeply appreciated. T U, Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 08:05 am:

When the "Starting Windows" message appears, press F5 to go to Safe Mode. You can also use F8, which will give you a menu, from where you can choose Safe Mode.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page