DMA hard drives pt 1

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Hard drive related: HD conflict, controllers: DMA hard drives pt 1
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ray on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 05:53 am:

I think i've done something bad! I have a second computer that i've put together from parts of other computers. It's been working fine up to now. I had an 8G HD and another 2G HD installed. I had enabled the DMA setting on the 8G which was the primary where i had my Windows 98 SE files stored, rebooted, and it seemed to come up fine. The trouble began when i went to the other HD, enabled the DMA setting for it. Not thinking anything bad would happen, i went and enabled the DMA setting on the two CD drives that i also have. I rebooted, got the Windows splash screen then it states that i can't finish loading because of some fatal error. I could only load in Safe Mode, but in this mode, when i opened up Device Manager, now there is no option to enable or disable DMA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ray on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 05:57 am:

DMA Hard Drives pt 2

I tried to use the emergency disk, but it tells me that the Drive is not partition in either FAT or FAT32, which i know can't be so, as i did partition it in that and even had the OS running.

the only other thing that i can think of is to delete and create the partitions again, reformat the HDs, and reload the OS. Does anyone know of anything else i can do?

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page