What's the fastest hard drive?

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Hard drive related: What's the fastest hard drive?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Formatted harddrive  2   01/23 01:55am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, November 08, 2000 - 02:10 pm:

Does anybody know who makes the fastest IDE hard drives? Not interested in SCSI drives, too expensive for me.

Fast means RPMs and how fast the head can find data--seek time, I think it's called. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Sunday, November 12, 2000 - 10:01 am:

Hi
Most of the big manufacturers make drives that meet the latest speed specs - check a PC mag for reviews, or try an online review. Type "hard drive review" into your favourite search engine to get comparisons. It's not just rpm that determines how fast your data is retrieved. Seagate, Maxtor, Quantum are ust three - check their home pages too for info on the different things to consider.

My hard drive gave up completely last week- I'll have to start looking soon myself!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Nancy Lenz on Tuesday, November 21, 2000 - 01:26 pm:

Hi, When I,m surfing the Web:After I get to a website and it is fully downloaded,the darn hard
drive keep,s running.This happen,s in game websites a lot or just like right now it start,s running and then quit,s. It,s aggravating.We
sure need some help on this.:o)
Thank,s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Tuesday, November 21, 2000 - 08:42 pm:

Nancy,

Do you have "Word" on your PC? This used to happen to me until I discovered "Microsoft Find Fast" (a part of Word) had been activated on my start-up. To check go to: Start/Run/type in MSCONFIG/OK/click on "Startup tab(top,right)/scroll and search for MS Find Fast/ remove the check if present/re-start.

This cured it for me. This used to be extremely aggravating when playing Pinochle on line, it would start to run and wouldn't even let me play a card until it finished its search. Once I removed it from the startup, the aggravation ceased.

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By DaBear on Sunday, November 26, 2000 - 08:31 pm:

Somebody define RAID array for me please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Doug Ward on Tuesday, December 05, 2000 - 07:28 am:

IBM deskstars are really good and tough too.
Some gamers dropped several hard drives from 6 feet to a carpeted floor and the deskstar was the only survivor.It survived the drop four times before it died.After seeing that test....It's all I install. A 30GB drive costs about $160

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 05, 2000 - 06:34 pm:

go to www.techweb.com/encyclopedia and they can give you your answer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Louise Cotita on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 09:12 am:

When my defragmenter is running, it shows the little blocks flowing from the folder to the big block but it doesn't show the grid that shows the percent completed. And it states that 0% is completed. I've let it run all day before, yet it never shows anything has been done. What can I do? Please use down-to-earth language!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By JODY on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 08:41 am:

The best source I've found for unbiased evaluations of software and hardware(ie-hard drive function and speed) is P C World. com.
I prefer the website to their hard copy magazine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 03:57 pm:

DaBear: RAID = Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks. (Inexpensive was later changed to Independent.) RAID writes all the data to several disks which speeds up access time to files.

As for good hard drives, Seagate and IBM are great brands. Right now, you can get a 7200 rpm drive for a pretty good price. Also make sure your motherboard supports Ultra DMA 66. This is the speed that data travels over the cable connecting hard drive to motherboard. Older computers use DMA 33.

Louise: Are you running Win95 or Win98? If you are running 98, go to start/programs/accessories/
system tools/system information.

On the tabs at the top, click on "tools". Click on System File Checker. Start that program, and restore any files that it finds currupted. Also run "registry checker" which is also under the tools menu. Then try defrag. If it doesn't work, let me know.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 04:00 pm:

Also,

If you are looking for unbiased prices for computer hardware, be sure to take a look at http://www.pricewatch.com

Now, understand that I sell computer hardware, so I am only saying this because I want to be nice! :-)

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, March 14, 2001 - 01:03 pm:

How can I free up more space on my disk drive: I've done most recommended things-empty recycle bin, delete temp files etc. Its' capacity is not that great to begin with but until I figure out what to replace it with-I NEED MORE SPACE. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance. I'm desparate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Lee on Wednesday, March 14, 2001 - 09:48 pm:

I have arranged for my old, second-hand computer to be upgraded, but am unsure if what I'm getting is okay. It is a Pentium Pro with less than a Gb of disk space, 16Mb Ram and a 16K modem - proven as totally inadequate for my growing needs after only four months, but I'm on a tight budget. The upgrade is to replace the CPU with a Celeron 533, give me 64Mb Ram, a 4.3Gb Hard drive, 56K modem, LAN card (?) 8Mb VGA Video (?) onboard AL97 sound (?) All this in a new case, and including transfer of hardware and installation at site.
I've been told the Celeron CPU is made by the same company that makes Pentium, and that it's their budget version. True? And is it going to be as reliable? Also, what are the last three items for? I don't remember asking for video and sound. Are they just cheap "frilly bits" to make it look like I'm getting a lot?
Can anyone see any problems with the above configuration? The two existing drives (C and D) are being left intact, so apparently I won't lose any of my stored stuff. This is vital to me - I have part of a book and heaps of important saved emails in there - so I'd like some reassurance from a knowledgable and objective Newbie Club advisor! It's quite urgent, as it's all happening in four days time....
Also, should I be asking for a particular brand of disk drive?
Thank you so much, in anticipation of your help.
Lee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, March 15, 2001 - 12:01 am:

Lee:

You definatly do need some upgrade or new computer. One thing you didn't mention was the price you are paying for this upgrade? That is an important point.

Celeron is Intel brand, and yes, it is the budget chip by Intel. More important is the memory. 64 is much better than what you had... but with memory so inexpensive, I would get 128 (once again, the price you are paying is important here).

A 4.3 gig drive is pretty small for today's standards, but may be all that you will need. Currently you can get a 20 gig drive for less than 100.00, so...depending on how much you are paying would determine if I can say you are getting a good hard drive deal or not.

56k modem is essential for your internet needs. LAN = local area network, a network card. Unless you are hooking into a network, or plan to use DSL or cable internet, it is not needed.

The 8mb video card is probably a good jump from what you have on your current system. Unless you use major multimedia games or use a lot of graphic editing software, 8mb is fine.

Onboard AL97 sound is just a general 128 bit sound card.

Here is what I am thinking you are getting:
A new motherboard that supports celeron processor and SDRAM (newer memory type). The motherboard has the sound card onboard, and almost assuredly the network card, video card, and maybe the modem. (onboard meaning that they are not seperate cards that plug into the mother board, they are built into the board.) The only disadvantage of onboard hardware is the inability to upgrade. You will get the new case because the newer motherboards take a different type of power supply.

The one issue I have about the hard drive: Keep in mind that you will still be using your smaller drive (c,d) as the main disk. That means that unless you specifically install or save programs and files to your new drive, you will just continue to fill up your old drive. Just a convenience issue to keep in mind.

On another issue with the hard drive: your old drive will be slower than the new drive, plus you will have the old installation of windows on there.... sometimes it is best just to set up a new OS. Just transfer your data (emails, book, so on) to the new operating system. As for brand, most stability in my experience is Seagate. But almost all brands are good. The only brand I would stay away from is Western Digital...but that is my personal opinion.

I am going to be liberal with my guess at price... but if you are paying over 200.00, you are not getting a good deal.

The motherboard should run about 60-70.
Processor 50-60.
Memory 20-30.
Case 20-30.
Hard drive - 50.

All of the prices are available online... the hard drive price is a rough estimate. As for reliability of celeron...sure it is reliable. I prefer AMD over Intel, but that is my opinion only.

Hope this helps out,

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, March 15, 2001 - 12:06 am:

Anonymous:

To free up some space, you may have to delete some programs. If you have lots of graphics, music files, movies or that type of thing, deleting those will free up some major space.

But if not, you will need to delete some programs. To do that, go to start/settings/control-panel/add-remove-programs

Select the program you want to remove and click the add/remove button. This frees up much more space than trying to find files to delete.

Windows runs smoothly when it has at least 100mb free space. (Don't ask me why this is true, but it is.) You may just eventually want to upgrade your hard drive instead of dealing with deleting all the time.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Tuesday, April 03, 2001 - 11:12 am:

MS Millineum Edition ??? Is anyone using the ME of MS? It is in the new computer & there are a few things we are having trouble with - like the recycle bin is now 'Norton Protected" - does not list deleted files by their names but by dc67 or dc251 etc. Maybe settings?
Also can't get Netscape to work in it & having trouble with various software we've downloaded - like cuteftp - wonder if this stuff is not compatable with ME

is it us or ME
any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, April 03, 2001 - 02:29 pm:

Candy:

I have been using ME for several months now, and had no problem when I upgraded from Win98 with my programs.

The one problem I have had is a problem with the floppy drive not working in ME. Have talked to several who upgraded, and this problem seems to be evident in the upgrade version.

Since your computer came with ME (not me of course, but millenium edition!), then you don't have that problem. However, it seems that some setting must have been set that is affecting your computer.

The Recycle bin.... check in the Norton settings and see about trying to get that feature turned off. I have never heard of such a thing. But it has to be with Norton, not the operating system.

What is the problem you are getting with netscape? Which version are you installing? Does it install all the way, or cause an error in the installation? You may want to reinstall it and try again. I am using 4.7 and 6.0 on my ME computer without problem, and both were installed after my upgrade to ME.

What is the problem with cuteftp? Is it the same type of problem as with netscape? Does it not work at all, or does it not connect to your site, or what?

Sorry I am giving more questions than answers, but if I had a few more clues, we might be able to figure it out.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Wednesday, April 04, 2001 - 08:28 am:

Josh
Re: ‘The Recycle bin.... check in the Norton settings and see about trying to get that feature turned off....'
Am checking into this further but haven’t had time so far

’What is the problem you are getting with netscape? Which version...? Does it install all the way...? ‘
Netscape just wouldn’t ‘do’ anything – I’d type in a url in the browser, hit enter & it sat there & ignored me – will redownload later today & try 4.o instead of 6 this time to see if there is a difference. No errors showed up.

CUTFTP - just wouldn’t install – got it working now – re-installed it at least 2987 times – worked fine on old computer.

‘MS ME it seems that some setting ... that is affecting your computer.’
This is what I am trying to figure out but now I’m wondering if it has something to do with IE too-
We have dsl but have to get it through a local server….
some sites won’t come up or come up very very slowly. For instance I have a terribly hard time getting into www.bluegravity.com (on east coast & I’m in AZ) & then can’t navigate their site - have talked to them & they have no problems going on – my daughter, who has the same server but without dsl, had no problem.
So am trying to figure is it

IE?
Server?
dsl?
ME?
me?
or the guy that built it?

To top it off, yesterday, found out somehow $745 of charges that aren’t ours, went on the credit card & while messing with norton, somehow replaced all current 2001 records of check books & rental prop. stuff in Quicken (which I spent hours entering one by one after not being able to get back-up disc from old computer to come up) with the 1999 records & I can’t access the 2001 stuff.
Anyone know of a VERY SIMPLE bookeeping/checkbook balancing software?

Not a good day

Thanks much
Candy
www.geocities.com/prescottproperties/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Wednesday, April 04, 2001 - 03:29 pm:

Josh
IP now says they have been having problems - maybe this will correct some of this when they are running better want to switch but it is the only way to get dsl up here in the mountains!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Thursday, April 05, 2001 - 07:07 am:

if this helps others, will share how some problems were solved:

Norton - contacted them - had to perform a 'clean boot' of windows ME & change the settings to 'standard' - my husband did the original & the re-boot so don't know details but now folders have names & the 'recycle bin' looks more like the one on 98.

the inability to get to some sites fine & not others is slowly resolving - isp claims they had some problems which are resolved but that there are some other problems down the line that may take a few days to fix themselves. we'll see on that.

Josh had no trouble with MS ME & I talked with others that deal with it a lot, like hosts, registrara & they have had no word of bugs with it so I doubt it is ME itself.

So think it is a combo of things messed up

Hope this helps if others have similar problems.
Candy
http://www.geocities.com/prescottproperties/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, April 05, 2001 - 05:28 pm:

Candy:

Glad everything is working out ok.
Well, other than my floppy problem, I have been satisfied with ME's performance... hope your's continues to run smoothly!

Josh

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page