Please help

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Please help
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
PC camera drivers installation  7   09/18 05:12am
Computer takes a nap at will  1   03/09 05:28pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By brains2010 on Tuesday, November 28, 2000 - 11:26 am:

I've got a bit of a problem I hope someone can help
my computer is a pen 3 733 with 128 meg of ram but after 12 hours of being online my memory runs out and everything crashes I then have to restart the computer and reconnect is there any thing I can do to stop this
I don't have a lot in my task bar just norton95,task scheduler,volume control,msn instant chat&the gator form helper
is this too much????
thank you in advance
brains2010(Shane hall)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frank Lavallee on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 - 10:56 pm:

Shane:

When you open and close programs, you get what is called "memory leaks". Program use a certain amount of memory, but they do not always release it all back when you close them. After enough time, you can have enough of a memory leak to drop your system resources to a critical point and receive a warning or have a freezeup. Rebooting your computer gets things going again with a fresh load of memory.

You have many more programs running in the background than you think you do. Look at your Start menu STARTUP sub-menu. Look at the number of icons on the taskbar. Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and look at the number of listings in the Close Program box.

Telephony, chat, and multimedia programs are some of the worse offenders for placing themselves to where they load during startup. You need to trim this list down and regain some system resources and performance.

Go to http://www.pcpitstop.com and sign up and run your computer through its brief tests. Besides telling you a whole lot about your computer's hardware, it will display a list of problem areas and even provide an auto-fix solution to some of them.

Go to http://www.senior.com/newbies/CaptainSpeleo/ehouse.asp and read the articles that have to do with improving performance and trimming down the startup bloat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By brains2010 on Friday, December 01, 2000 - 01:01 pm:

thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy Rotering on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 12:42 pm:

Hi
New here - going to ck. out the sites to 'fix' this nasty machine! :) since we got this computer 2 yrs ago, we have had a problem copying to disk - had a warrentey & took it in - long story - it was gone for 2 weeks - still dosen't work. Been deleting stuff we don't need, but still won't work so downloading means onto hard drive. hints?
Thanks
Candy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By L Dale on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 02:23 pm:

Candy, When you download, a SAVE AS box or
window should be appearing?? At the top of it
should be a window where you can locate the
drive that you want to save into; in your case
I'd assume your A drive, if you are talking of
small things that will fit on a floppie 1.44/3.5"
but otherwise you could SAVE to your desktop and
then MOVE to your A drive; or right click on it
and SEND to your A drive (or any other drive
you might have--say Zip etc). If you have downloaded Netscape Smart Download, it is probably
putting directly into a Download Folder, but you
can still move or send; or change the DL spot.
Hope this might help, Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Saturday, January 13, 2001 - 02:55 pm:

Larry - just now found this! Thanks much - am printing to save in case I can't find it again :) dang I'm soooo go at this LOL
Candy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy aka cpr on Saturday, January 13, 2001 - 03:05 pm:

Before I tell you my new problem please know I am trying to find all the info I can via Newbie newsletter, tutorials, MS help, Catchup's site & Frank's site ,http://www.senior.com/newbies/CaptainSpeleo/ehouse.asp
to clean house here

Meanwhile this thing just freezes up for no logical reason - especially while in print job - cntrl alt delete won't work & I eventually have to turn the power off all togethere & start over. Yesterday it would just turn off when I wasn't using it. I would have to turn power off & on again to even get anything going - even the screen saver or desk top would not come on.
So now I'm nervous that it is so full it will blow up or attack me. So Here I am. As usual needing help.
btw - this is a most awesome place & a great help from unintimidating folks. Thanks so very much
Candy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Saturday, January 13, 2001 - 04:02 pm:

alright - I've been busy removing cleaning etc.
2 more questions

1)does having a short cut on desk top use much space/memroy or what ever it uses?

2)is it possible or even a good idea to delete stuff like excel (which we never ever use or know how to)without screwing up windows since it came with windows?

Thanks in advance
cpr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 03:46 am:

Candy:

A shortcut does not take up any space to worry about. You can delete them if you don't want them on the desktop, but it will not free up space.

You can remove programs like excel, but all programs should be done through the control panel:
start/settings/control panel/add-remove programs. Select the program to remove in the list, and press the add/remove button. With excel, you would probably select Microsoft Office from the list. It may require you to put in the install cd-rom and then change the programs that are installed. However, most programs are much easier to remove.

As for the powering off and locking up:
Right-click on the desktop, and go to properties. Click the Screen saver tab. In the Energy Saving area, click the settings button. Make sure the computer is not powering itself on you.

Reinstall your printer software to see if that fixes your printing problem. Make sure that you are installing the correct drivers.... make sure the printer model being installed is the printer that you have.

Hope this helps.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By catchup on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 05:14 am:

Candy: Josh is on target here, the only thing I might add is for you to go to your printer manufacturers web site and find any updated drivers for your particular printer.
Your machine is a couple years old and you might just improve things if you updated the drivers for everything.
Most manufactures of PC's and related hardware have sites that you can download new drivers from.
They have detailed information and instructions so just check them out and see what you can find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 02:01 pm:

Thanks much Josh & Catchup...
now that we are done shoveling snow in the AZ Mountains (yuck) I may have time to work on this. I can't even get to working on a page with these kinds of hang ups
Again
Thanx!
cpr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 11:24 am:

Intel Celeron 633 128 Kb FC-PGA TRAY
Intel Celeron 633 128 Kb FC-PGA Box

What is the difference apart from the price ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 09:12 pm:

Anon:

I am not sure. I have never heard of a TRAY version, dunno what that means. On the intel site, all of the chips are mentioned as Box. Don't know what that means either... boy 0 for 2.

Contact the site you are planning on buying them from and ask them for a better explanation. Sorry I couldn't help more, but I am an AMD man, and I don't like Intel. (Speaking of AMD, you can get an Athlon 633 for much cheaper and better performance than a celeron.)

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 03:21 pm:

i am a web.tv user and i am concerned about the responce i rec. (web.tv does not use this format) how does this effect any website or webpage i wish to have/use. is there a way for me to have access to this info? especailly windows98/95 from web.tv. thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 06:14 pm:

Anon:

What is the information you are trying to recieve? What is the problem you are having? I don't think I quite understand what the problem is.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Doris House on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 09:33 pm:

I keep getting an error message no socket error 11001 0x800cccod. whatdoes this mean?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 06:58 pm:

Hi

Can someone please help me. I am trying to run scandisk in safe mode and I need someone to tell me how to do this. Can I run scandisk in safe mode without closing running programs. I cannot get the Close Programs box to open when I press
Control-Alt-Delete. What do I need to do?

Thanks for your help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 01:24 pm:

I am having trouble running scandisk and defrag. I have tried everything. I tried to delete before using and that didn't work either. Scandisk starts over and over and defrag shows a flicker of a blue once in a while.I even reinstalled windows.
can you help me?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 09:38 pm:

Anon,

Are you using a screen saver? If so, try turning it off and right clicking on icons next to the clock and closing then down (all except the clock and the sound icon).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Bruce Chapman on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 07:52 pm:

I have a Pavilion Xt963 Tower that has blown the power supply. A new one is about 150.00 and I can get another less expensive one but it does not have the 3 pin connector, it is marked P7, that goes to the motherboard. I dont seem to be able to find the M/B docs so I can see what voltage is required there so maybe I could rewire to supply the M/B. It may be a switch only from inside the PS but am not sure. If anyone is familiar with this motherboard setup could you please let me know what needs to be supplied to the system through the 3 pin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ann O. on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 03:18 am:

When I Shut Down my PC, I get a message box with the following "WIN95 RPC Wmsg Window". I have a HP Pavillion, Intell II Processor, 65MB RAM, 365 mhz. I have 2 Drives: C = 5.9GB & D = 9.5GB. I am running D(it came with the PC) as storage with lots of photos and it still has 8.09 available. C Drive has all my programs and documents from MS Works and I am down to only 1.90 free. My computer is very slow and takes a long time in shutting down or surfing the web. Can someone help? I run Scandisc and Defrag on a regular schedule every 10 days. Ann

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 02:32 pm:

Are you using Win 95?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ann O on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 02:51 am:

Hi - No I am using WIN 98. Don't know where that message came from "WIN95 RPC Wmsg Window is not responding". What does that mean? Ann

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 04:23 pm:

This is the desc of RPC from Webopedia.com
"Short for remote procedure call, a type of protocol that allows a program on one computer to execute a program on a server computer. Using RPC, a system developer need not develop specific procedures for the server. The client program sends a message to the server with appropriate arguments and the server returns a message containing the results of the program executed. "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 04:24 pm:

I can't find that error for Win98 in the
MS support site. I did find this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;202633

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;238096

(You may have to copy and paste these links if the message splits them to two lines)

202633 gives these possibles for shutdown problems:
Shutdown problems in Windows 98 can be caused by any of the following issues:
Incompatible, damaged, or conflicting device drivers
A damaged exit sound file
Incorrectly configured or damaged hardware

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Yvonne OBrien on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 04:50 am:

Hi,
I have tried to defragment my laptop. It will only go to 2% than go back to 0 and start over. No mater how long I let it run. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?
Yvonne

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page