CPU usage

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: CPU usage
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ron-sailfan on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 06:35 pm:

This question regards CPU usage on a Win 98 Dell Optiplex 500 MHz PIII PC. I use System Mechanic to keep this system running well. A few days ago while using this PC the sound of the internal fan increased from from soft to loud. I ran System Mechanic and when I went to defrag the memory there is a led guage and meter which said the CPU usage was 100%. Normally, it runs about 5-10% processing when I check. With the cover off, the PIII processor and heat sink were uncomfortably hot. I checked the programs running at startup, and they were the usual, SpyBot, Norton AV, Zone Alarm, and a few others. I do not know how to check the task manager in Win98 to see what processes are running. If anyone has some idea how to check to see what if making the CPU work so hard, I would appreciate it. Thanks, Ron-sailfan

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page