Cant install new hardware without 98SE original disc

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Cant install new hardware without 98SE original disc
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jackymax on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 04:48 pm:

Hi all,
My mum got me the computer put together by 'a man who can' a couple of years ago, without any instruction books etc, or the original disc for Windows 98 Second Edition which it uses.
The problem I'm now having is whenever I try to install any hardware it asks me to insert 98SE disc which I dont have.
This also happened when I upgraded to broadband and was installing the new modem, but it still installed and I'm now using it with no problems.
But on trying to install the driver cd for a digital camera it did the same, although the icon is on my desktop and the program ready to use. The problem appears when I plug the USB cable in. It says that it has detected new hardware and asks for the original 98SE disc.
On Ebay I have seen 'Boot Disks' and also 'Install Repair Format Disks' which work for 98SE among others. Would either of these help?
I would appreciate any help.
Jackymax.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jackymax on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 04:50 pm:

Me again,
I also have this problem when trying to create a back-up disc.
Thanks.
Jackymax

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page