Erase hard drive/reinstall Windows 98

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Hard drive related: Erase hard drive/reinstall Windows 98
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gary1112 on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 12:16 am:

I have an older 233 system and would like to erase all of the info on the hard drive. I would then like to reinstall Win 98 for my son to use for his games and homework applications. I have done this before and recall "Fdisk" as having something to do with it and all went well. If I am successful I would like to do the same with this Pentium 450 and start all over. Nither one of these PC's contain anything I cannot live without.
Although I have been in cyborville for around 4 years now, I can appreciate all of the information out there just for the asking. So how about it folks...any help out there?
Thanks.
Gary
Please respond to globe50@usa.net or the newbie site.
Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 03:27 pm:

Gary

The easiest way to do that is probably to drop into pure DOS (i.e. not via Windows - do a restart) and then type "Del c\*.*". The only problem with that is the system files will still be there - unless you change the Hidden attributes. But you need those to re-install Windows.

Fdisk is the command for formatting a disc and I don't know if it's still supported in DOS. It would certainly do it, but I'd be wary because I don't know if it leaves you with enough system files to reinstall Windows.

Why not just reinstall Windows and manually delete any files you don't need? Be easier in the long run.

I don't really see the benefit of what you're trying to do. Do you want to post again about your objectives (I'll check back on Monday)?

Cheers

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 09:54 pm:

[This is an advanced topic, and I do not recommend doing this unless you are pretty sure of what you are doing.]

Gary,

Here are some steps to redo your computer installation. First, make sure you have all the resources you will need. Verify that you have your windows cd and the cd-key for it. Create a windows start up disk (start/settings/control panel/ add-remove programs/Startup disk TAB.)

Shut down the computer you want to reinstall windows on. Reboot this computer with the start up disk in the floppy drive. Make sure your computer boots to the floppy fine, and that the cd-rom is recognized. Verify this by changing drive letter to cd-rom letter, and putting a cd in it and accessing some data (a dir listing is fine.)

Now you have everything to reinstall. Go to an 'a' prompt(a: [enter]). Type 'format c: /s' [enter]. This will format c drive and make it bootable. You do not need to run fdisk because the drive is already set up with partitions.

After the drive has been formatted, reboot the computer with the startup disk still in the drive. Once you are booted to an a prompt, change to your cd-rom 'd: [enter]'. Then type 'setup [enter]'. The windows setup program should begin and will guide you through the rest of the setup process.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Kevin on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 05:09 pm:

Josh

Is what you described for Gary called a "clean reinstall"?
I've been having problems with my computer lately, mainly fatal errors when clicking on links in web pages, but several other errors too. I have win 98. I've heard that doing a clean reinstall of win 98 often solves this type of problem, and is recommended on a regular basis anyway, say once a year, to keep windows working well.
I understood DOS & windows on my old 486 computer (Win 3.11) very well & did something similar to fix it, but 98 is a mystery to me.
Hope you can help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 03:50 pm:

Here's a link to MS support on this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;250928

Also as Win98 support ends this month, a link to how to backup stuff you may need:
http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2003/2003-12-18.htm#2

Make sure you copy the whole of those links, as they're long!
Dianne Reuby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Kevin on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 05:59 pm:

dreuby/Dianne

Thank you very much. Following those links was some of the best advice I've ever had. (apart from the advice to join the newbie club of course lol)

Kevin

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page