Can I have 2 hard drives

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Hard drive related: Can I have 2 hard drives
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
New harddrive has no letter designation  6   01/19 11:16am
Could My PC Have Come With A Second Hard Drive  3   08/06 03:48pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 03:41 pm:

Hi All,

I believe it is possible to add a second hard drive but I don't know how. I only have a 4gb hard drive at the moment and would like to know if it is possible to add a larger one to this, or do I need to just put in one new larger one on its own. If it can be done, could anybody advise me as how to do this and what is the best size up from the one I have.

thanks a million,

Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frank Lavallee on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 05:59 am:

Arline:

You can add another hard drive to your computer, but it is a very advanced undertaking and should be done by a qualified computer technician.

The size of the hard drive all depends on what you plan to use your computer for. Unless you plan to save a lot of video and music clips, you can make do with a 6 - 8 GB hard drive.

Not to go off on a tangent, but if you do not have at least 64 MB of RAM in your computer, get more added. If your computer supports it, go for 128 MB.

Good luck on your endeavor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 05:33 pm:

Hi Frank,

I am making up a family tree album for my grandchildren, and have gathered together a couple of hundred photo's of relatives going back several generations, i need to get all these onto my computer and, as i have been married twice i need two different sets so as not to confuse the young ones. Do you think that an 8 GB hard drive will be big enough to put all this into along with what i have now, i have about 2GB of space left, i am also going to build a family web site, and i am a bit concerned about running out of space on my hard drive before i have it all finished.
Thanks for your help it is much appreciated.

Regards

Arline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 04:10 pm:

Arline,

Frank is definately right when he says adding a second hard drive is an advanced task. If you really would like instructions, I can give you some to follow step by step.

2GB should be plenty of space right now. Unless your photos are HUGE, you should have more than enough room for them. I wouldn't be worried about running out of space. You will not lose what you already have by adding or replacing your hard drive. You can add a second one for space, or you could put all of your data on a new hard drive and it would function just like the old one, only larger.

Once you are in need of more space, I suggest replacing the whole drive. Currently, you can get a twenty gig drive for around 100. One thing to consider is the age of your computer. If it is several years old, you may not be able to easily go this route because it might not be able to use large hard drives, so make sure your computer can use large drives before you spend money on one.

I hope that I have helped you in figuring this out. Feel free to contact me if you have more questions.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Thursday, December 28, 2000 - 03:07 am:

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the instructions you e mailed to me, I have not had time, (what with christmas and all the preparations) to "give it a go" as yet, but I will let you know as soon as i do, even if I do have to use a friends computer. Thanks again for your very speedy reply.

To all who are reading this, Josh sent me very detailed instructions on how to change to a larger hard drive within 12hrs of me sending an email. That is what I call "help there, when I needed it most" I cannot praise him enough.

Happy and Prosperous New Year to you Josh.

Arline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, December 28, 2000 - 05:03 pm:

Wow Arline,

Thanks for the nice words. I just remember being in the same hard spots many times, and I know how frustrating things can get.

Have a good new year, and good luck with the drive.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Lee on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 10:05 pm:

I bought an old second hand computer set-up, and it seems to have two drives, a C and a D. The C is nearly full, and I have already deleted some of the programs it held, like games. It's capacity is 407mb, and free space only 20mb.
The D drive has 405mb capacity with 298mb free space. There seem to be a lot of duplicates of programs called ffastun with different suffixes. Can I delete them from my C drive to make more space? I don't understand this hard disc set up at all. I am writing a novel, and need lots of space. How can I ensure it goes on the D drive? Windows is in C, but MSWord and Publisher is in D. I save my work to a file on the desktop for convenience, and to a floppy at the end of the day. Could someone please advise me what I should do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, January 04, 2001 - 03:16 pm:

Lee,

I am not sure what the ffastun files are used for, but this computer at work has 4 of them, so maybe they are some type of system file. I would leave them alone, they are not taking a lot of space. If you are just going in Windows explorer and deleting folders and files, a better way to free up some space is to go to your add/remove programs and remove some programs (Start/settings/control panel/add-remove programs). Files usually don't take near as much space as programs.

There is no reason why you cannot use the D drive's extra space for your data. It will work fine doing that. Windows usually likes to have about 100 mbs free to feel happy, but it may be using D's space to fulfill that... I am not sure. There is only so much deleting you can do, then I would suggest storing all data files on D.

If anyone knows what those ffastun files are, and if anyone knows more about this 100 mb free space theory, I would love to hear it.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, January 04, 2001 - 04:08 pm:

Hi Lee

You can save your data files from MS Word and Publisher wherever you want - just create a directory on your D: drive (call it something that you'll remember!) then when you've typed something and are ready to save, choose File > Save As and change to your D: drive and the directory you created. Use the drop-down box at the top of the "SAVE" window to change drives, click on your directory in the window below it.

As your data is going to be very important (irreplaceable!) make sure you back it up - to floppy, zip drive, or whatever. My hard drive failed recently, and I only managed to save some of my stuff before it went.

When I have files that I don't know if I can delete, like your ffastun, I zip them onto a floppy, then if things start to crash, I can put them back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Joann on Saturday, April 14, 2001 - 07:12 pm:

Sure you can have more than one hard drive. We just had a second one installed in our daughter's computer. She has a three gig that came with her Packard Bell, and for Christmas got her a Maxtor 20 gig (yep, for Christmas, that was her request). Circuit City took care of the installation and it's been running just fine. She uses a lot of graphics-intensive programs (even maintains her own web site)and has had no problems.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page