Erase hard drive

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Hard drive related: Erase hard drive
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gary robinson on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 04:40 pm:

I posted this question several days ago and managed to loose the answers...something I do quite often. I have an older 233Mhz machine that is jam packed with junk,duplicate files and folders,programs no longer needed,100's of Word documents,file fragments and you get the picture...just plain junk of no interest to anybody with access. I would like to know the procedure to erase the drive...reboot and reinstall windows and start all over. I have learned over the past few years a great deal of information about filing,downloading,creating shortcuts and ect. When I purchased the PC I'm on now, I turned over the other PC to my 9 year old son just as it was...cluttered with junk. He has learned a great deal of info. on the Net,downloading,website creation and ect. but he is very close to maxing out his hard drive. He has agreed with me that he would be willing to loose all of his info in exchange for a fresh blank drive. I did this procedure once before but have forgotten how. One response to this question was to just delete Windows98 and then reload it again. That may work but will I still have a bunch of AOL left?How about Office 97. Any help out there?
Thanks,
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 04:53 pm:

Hi Gary,

Format your hard drive if you don't care about the stuff that's there.

Make a bootable diskette from Windows Add/Remove programs, Startup Disk tab, and test it to be sure you can boot your computer with it. Make sure the format command is on it, too.

Then boot with the diskette, and when you're at the A: prompt, type FORMAT C: and press Enter. Follow the prompts. When your hard drive is blank, you can install Windows fresh.

If you have CD-ROM, you'll have to be sure you have the drivers for it loaded on the diskette you created. Someone else out there can point you in the right direction on how to do this.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page