Hard drive failure

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Hard drive related: Hard drive failure
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Is my Hard Drive on its way out?  1   07/13 02:30pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gary robinson on Saturday, December 16, 2000 - 11:40 am:

I have written several times and have received some good information. I am having problems booting my sons "puter". I made a boot disk from the machine I am now on. Both machines are using the same win 98 software.
When I try to boot the other machine I get a "hard drive failure" message. I assume the hard drive has fried itself. I would like to get the puter up and running again. I was told by a computer shop that I need a new drive and that would be around $160-$200. The person who checked it out basically went on the same "hard drive failure" to give me his quote.
I really don't want to invest more than $60 or $75 to get this thing up and running again. It is only a 133Mhz with a 1.8 gig drive and am limited as to what upgrades I can do.
I am at a loss folks...spend the money on this older system or start all over.
I believe I can get my hands on another used machine that I can upgrade and be ahead of the game. I guess what I really need to know if there is a way I can test this machine running in the safe mode and assure that the drive failure is really the problem. Any help will be certainly appreciated.
Thanks,
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Saturday, December 16, 2000 - 02:57 pm:

Gary:

I don't think you have a bad hard drive.
I would reformat and reload windows 98 and see if that worked.
If you had a bad hard drive you couldn't get anything running, even safe mode.

HTH

Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gary robinson on Saturday, December 16, 2000 - 04:50 pm:

OK,
How doI go about doing that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Saturday, December 16, 2000 - 05:25 pm:

Gary:

I was afraid you were going to ask that; ;-)

All righty then....

To format a disk on which Windows 98 is installed

Click Start, click Shut Down, click Restart, and then click OK.
Press and hold the CTRL key until the Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu appears.
Select Command prompt only and press ENTER.
At the C:\ prompt, type format c: and press ENTER.
Follow the instructions on your screen.

Caution
Formatting a disk removes all information from the disk. Your computer may not function if you format the disk (usually the C: drive) on which Windows 98 is installed.

OK, now we have a clean disk,
You said you created a startup disk, insert this into the floppy drive.
Do a change directory at the C:prompt cd\ enter
type a: Enter
now your prompt should be A:> type "dir" without the quotes.
locate the CD ROM driver and type its name at the prompt and click enter.

After the driver is installed you can insert your Win98 disk and ReStart. At the DOS screen prompt you will be asked if you want to start with CD rom or Hard drive support, select CD rom.

At this point you should be able to follow the onscreen instructions.

Just remember, if it's already broke, you can't hurt it.

Catchup

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page