TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Modems
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Force port closure  3   06/03 05:37pm
Strange Noise.  1   06/04 06:03pm
Computer not receiving response from modem  4   11/09 10:20pm
My Computer doesnt recognize my modem  1   01/02 10:43pm
Phone line engaged even with no power.  6   10/18 02:52am
Looking for TNC 6-pin DIN to USB adapter cable for ICOM 208H  1   03/22 06:26pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Kat on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 09:31 am:

Hi there

I wonder if you could help me. Ive just installed the drivers for my internal modem its seems to be working ok, it does the handshake and all that to connect to my server but somehow it doesnt quite seem to be able to get in the net. Ive found out that it is a fax/modem could this be the problem and if so how do I resolve it. I have an external one at the moment too and when I changed back a voice came on the line saying that the other person had hung up. I dont understand what was going on there!!! I would much appreciate any suggestions you may have as to how I can get this internal modem working properly as it is faster than my external one!!!

Thanks very much

Kat :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 04:13 pm:

RE: Modem problems;

The first thing to do is to start your "Modem Troubleshooter"

Here's how; (Windows)
Click the Start button> Help> click the "Index" tab on the dialogue box and type in "modem" in the search box. Look down the list and double click on trouble shooter. In the right screen click on "Click here" this will start the trouble shooter. Follow the instructions, answer the questions.

Most problems can be solved by going through this process. If you still have problems, repost here and include your modem specs. IE: brand, speed, model # and such.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Cooie on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 02:34 pm:

Several weeks ago I had my hard drive re-formatted, and since then I can hardly hear my modem dialing and connecting. It is very faint. I have set the volume control for the modem up as far as it will go, but there is no change. Also, I now hear a faint fuzzy noise when the modem is connected, and the phone for the computer line sounds like it is grounded - a humming noise. Can anyone figure out what the problem is?? Please! Thanks you very much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 06:59 pm:

Cooie,
Try this click start, settings, control panel when in the control panel double click modems highlight your modem then click properties.
If the speaker volume is off, move the slider to on. click OK then OK again. The volume should be back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Raj on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 01:05 am:

Hello Readers,

I have an external modem 33.6K bs which displays
eight abbreviations, may I know the full
name and its function namely:

HS, AA, CD, OH, SD, RD, TR, MR

When my PC is ON in idle mode only MR
remains illuminated, but when left ON for 
@1hour and more in idle mode, MR & TR both
get illuminated and TR will stop illuminating,
only, if my PC is reset. But there is no function
problems.

Can you help me in identifying this function
or problem.

Are External Modems more advisable than internal.
May be they will not damage the motherboard if
some error develops in internal modems.

Thanks   

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Cooie on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 09:17 am:

to annonymous who advised me on speaker volume... The volume control is turned all the way up. This is not the problem. Any other suggestions??? Please help!! Thanks!
Cooie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 11:43 pm:

Cooie,
The only other thing I can think of now is did you check your volume controls to be sure that the Mute box is not checked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mike on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 10:45 pm:

Question...
I had two modems in my computer...1 pci and 1 isa..the pci was used for internet connection and the isa was used for the Answering Machine Softare on my computer for incoming calls only..Lightening stuck and blew out my isa modem...So, I went out and bought a new pci modem to replace the isa that was blown because I have several open slots and it seems that pci are easier to configure...the installation of the new pci modem went flawless...I can connect to the net etc...BUT..Now my orginal pci modem is not working...it tries to dial and can find the dial tone...It worked before I installed the new pci modem, but not after...I know that the phone line has a dial tone because I have it hooked to a phone on the output side of the modem....The curious thing is that one modem is on com3 and the other on com4 but they share the enumerators share the same irq9 ???? It says that I can not change the irq?? Seems like they are conflicting with each other except that the system says there are no conflicts? I can connect with the new modem ok but not the old one yet?? I also tried the Windows Trouble Shooter but no luck :( PLEASE HELP..There has to be a way:)
Thanks in advance
Mike

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page