USB's and older computers

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Hard drive related: USB's and older computers
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Shirley Nate on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 11:38 pm:

If your computer was made in 97 you probably do not have USB connections. Does the conversion hardware work on all computers? I have been told the performance is lower than with computers built that way. Is there any other way? The printer I want to buy only has an usb connection.
Thanks.
SN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Wednesday, December 20, 2000 - 12:15 am:

RE: USB;

While it is true that USB technology is a fine thing, you shouldn't try to use it with older machines. They just don't have the support needed. They make a software that will run a check on your puter and tell you if it has support for USB but, darnd if I can find a copy on my box. When I do I'll upload it to my FTP site and post a link to it here.
Until then, you might want to think about upgrading to a newer computer.

If you are wanting to use new technology and investing in new printers and the like, you would be money ahead to go with a new computer for Christmas than to spend money trying to make your old one accept the USB stuff, only to find that it don't work so well...

Catchup
http://waynesworlds.com/office

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Wednesday, December 20, 2000 - 05:59 am:

Hi Shirley,

Re your query about USB. I have a computer which was certainly made before 97 and did not have USB.I have bought a 2 Port PCI to USB Host Controller Card at a cost of £20 and have had no trouble running my printer and scanner with it. If you don't want to go to the expense of a new computer at this time of the year try this, it is working well for me.

HTH.

Arline

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page