Defrag

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Defrag
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Defrag not Defragging!!  2   07/13 04:33pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dave Worthington on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 08:22 pm:

Hi,
I usualy defrag about 2 times a week,well yesterday I tried to defrag and it froze everything at about 7% so I had to manualy shut down my computer(which I know is not a good thing) then I tried to defrag a second time and it froze everything again about 10%. then I manualy shut down again, when the computer was back up I did three restarts,did a virus scan, did another restart then tried another defrag, well now it defrags up to 3% dropes back to 0% then goes to 3% over and aver. Anyone know what is wrong with my defrag? Can I fix it? Help
Thanks,
Dave Worthington

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 09:19 pm:

RE: Defrag freeze;
Usually when this happens there is a program running in the background.

Did you install or place a program in you startup folder just before this happened?

Look at your task bar and see what is there that might be trying to run when defrag is started. Some programs that run in the background will affect defrag like that.

Do the CTRL>ALT>DEL thing and turn off all programs that are not needed and then start defrag. If this works then just figure out which program is the culprit and remove it from your startup folder.

Merry Christmas

CAtchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dave Worthington on Tuesday, December 26, 2000 - 07:48 pm:

Ok thats cool but how do I find out what is running in the background?
Thanks
Dave Worthington

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Kevin Langshaw on Tuesday, January 09, 2001 - 12:43 am:

My defrag was doing exactly the same thing the cause for me was that the screensaver was turned on every time the screensaver tried to start it stopped the defrag. Try turning of your screen saver if it is active.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary C. Swem on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 09:51 pm:

I am having the same problem as Dave Worthington with my defrag. I am also having the same problem when I try to run scan disk. I have tried Ctrl,Alt,Delete and end task to close open programs(didn't work). I have to shut down by pulling the plug and when I restart(about 30 seconds later) Scan disk does not run to check errors. Does anyone know what my problem is? Could it be a software or a hardware problem. I hope not because my computer is less than one year old.

M.C. Swem

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 12:38 am:

Hi Mary,

Try this:

Click Start, and then click Shut down.

Click Restart, click OK, and then press and hold the CTRL key until the Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu appears.

For some machines, you can use F8 instead of CTRL to bring up the Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu.

Enter the number for Safe mode, and then press ENTER.

Once you are in the safe mode run the scandisk and the defrag.

When you are done you will need to restart your computer before Windows will start properly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary C. Swem on Friday, March 02, 2001 - 01:45 am:

Hi Anonymous

I tried your suggestion to run scan disk in safe mode. I checked the computer after three hours and I found a message telling me "Scan disk has retarted 10 times because Windows or another program has been writing to this drive. Quitting some running programs may enable scan disk to finish sooner. Do you want to continue receiving this warning?" I said no and quit running scan disk Do you have any suggestions to offer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, March 02, 2001 - 03:35 am:

Mary:

Boot into safe mode. Look at the taskbar on the right side, where the clock is. Notice how many icons are next to the clock. Right-click on each one, and choose EXIT or CLOSE from the options. You will not find this option for the icon that looks like a speaker, or for the one that looks like a white box with blue border and red part on it....sorry, best way I could describe it.

Also, you can't do that for any antivirus software. But you should still be able to right-click and choose Disable...something like that.

Then, press CTRL + ALT + DEL one time. A window will pop up showing everything that is running on your computer. Shut everything off except explorer and systray. Just select the item and choose End task. Then continue to do this until you have them all off except for those two.

Then run scandisk.

Hope that helps...

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By lonerwolf on Friday, March 02, 2001 - 07:24 am:

Had the same problem simply from having my scanner switched on.
Chrissie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, March 02, 2001 - 04:57 pm:

Another thing I just remembered.... make sure your screen saver is turned off! Right-click on desktop, go to properties. Click on the screensaver tab. Choose NONE from the pull-down select box.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Janet on Monday, April 09, 2001 - 02:26 am:

I have a question that may or maynot have been on here already as I am new to the list.

How often should one defrag and scan disk? I have been told by my computer man that this is only nessesary when you start to slow down on your programs or you have been putting on and taking off alot of programs and files.

I find that I really don't need to do this but about every 6 months or so and yet I have friends telling me I should be doing this every week. That takes up a lot of time with a big hard drive.

I also use McAfee service on line and it checks for all my lost cluster and cleans out my files and all the other garbage that gets on the computer. It has a whole list of things that it takes care of under the optimizing. So I don't use Scan Disk hardly at all. Then I just defrag like I said about every 6 months or so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Elaine Gavenda on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 09:10 pm:

I have tried everything in the information and my scan disk goes to 1,881,000 out of 1,950,000 and quits nomatter what I try can anyone help me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 06:44 am:

Elaine:

Try running scandisk from dos. Click start/shutdown, restart in DOS mode.

When it finishes rebooting, type in 'scandisk' without the quotes at the prompt. Choose to run a thorough scan, and see if it is able to finish.

Post back if not.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By patie on Monday, August 06, 2001 - 05:58 am:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, For 6 months I've been trying to get my defrag to run pass 3%, I've talked to Gateway many times and they just tell me that I have a program running. NO ONE said any thing about screensavers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ruth Ludlam on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 04:00 am:

When I turn my computer on it always stops with a page that says:"Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application.
The Windows regestry or SYSTEM.INL file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists --------try uninstalling --------try reinstalling to replace missing file.
vsdata95.vxd
Press any key to continue."
Does any one know what this is or what to do about it? When I go on it seems to work OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By binkythebinkster on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 02:28 am:

For Anyone Interested in "Set it and Forget it" automatic defragmentation free Trialware for Hard Drives with up to 8 partitions and as large as 768GB, look into Diskeeper. They also have a free utility you can download for comparing the degree of defragmentation capabilities between different programs. Unlike Windows built-in defragmenter, the Diskeeper will also defrag your boot and MFT files. Checkout their web site: www.execsoft.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Penny on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 03:30 pm:

Hi everyone,
For the last 3 weeks I have been trying to scan disk. I can defrag. but when I go into clean disk the box pops up with 3 bars on the bottom. I am not sure if that means 3% or not, but it stops there and then I need to restart my computer to do anything else. It always comes up with the 3 bars on it from when I tried it 3 weeks ago. I have Windows XP if this makes a difference when someone has an idea. Thanks for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By JP on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 01:41 am:

For those of us who use Diskeeper 10 on XP here is a little known fact about Diskeeper: They have an agreement with Microsoft to not de-frag a drive if the system has detected a " Dirty Bit " on the drive. A dirty bit is a point of entry to the drive and some programs can block Diskeeper from doing its job because of this agreement. I had a real good time trying to fix this perticular problem. Diskeeper FAQ sends you to a Microsoft Knoledge base article describing how to resolve this issue. Unfortunately, it's for Win NT and not XP so the interface is different in the control panel. It should be resolved by running CHKDSK to change a value from one back to zero???.It should also start on a command prompt: "CHKDSK /f" .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By JP on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 01:42 am:

For those of us who use Diskeeper part 2
The problem I had was CHKDSK would not run even on re-boot. So after a while I almost gave up and was almost ready to re-format my drive. Everytime I tried to schedule a CHKDSK it would not run. On a hunch I re-started in "Safe Mode" and behold, the CHKDSK ran and fixed my problem. My question is can someone tell me why the CHKDSK would not run on re-boot? and why it did on a " Safe Mode " boot?
Thanks

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page