SOUND WOES

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Sound Card Concerns: SOUND WOES
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 12:21 am:

I had sound then I lost a couple files and a couple friends helped to find them. I then discovered that I had no sound.
I looked in start/settings/control panel/systems/devise manager and opened the sound, video and game controllers and everything looked ok there. Still No sound. I checked the control panel/multimedia/devices and all the video and audio compression codec are all marked with red dots. What can I do now? Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, February 01, 2001 - 06:27 pm:

Woe is me.. and you. I have the same problem, except mine will play .wav files but no midi files. What gives here? I even emailed the manufacturer and all I got was "probably better to reformat your hard drive" I clicked in Device manager and it tells me everything is working fine so if I have to throw the restore disc in then I lose everything to try and see if I can have the .midi files play again. At least I will know if my sound card is trashed or something if I reformat. Is there anybody out there with any knowledge of this malady??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, February 01, 2001 - 10:54 pm:

Anonymous:

Sound problems are definatly not one of my strong points, but here is a few suggestions to try:

First, double-click the speaker icon in the taskbar and just make sure that the MIDI section is not set to Mute. I know... it seems silly to ask that, but it is always best to eliminate possibilities.

Then, open your control panel and go to multimedia settings. (start/settings/control panel/Multimedia). Now, I am trying to explain this to you by using a computer that has no sound card, so this is a little difficult for me, but I will try my best. Click on the MIDI tab and make sure that in "single instrument" there is something there, and it is named something similar to the sound card.

Next, click on the devices tab. Click the + sign next to the MIDI section. There should be something listed under there, i think. Click on the properties and just make sure no problems exist with them.

Finally double-check device manager (control panel/system - device manager tab) and make sure that under the sound devices, there is a MIDI device (at least, i think there is supposed to be one there :) ).

If you don't find any problems with any of that, then try reinstalling your drivers. First, make sure you have the proper drivers for your sound card (they should be on the restore disk). Then, go back into device manager and remove all of the sound devices. Totally shut down and power off the computer. Turn it back on. It should detect new hardware and reinstall your sound card drivers... you probably won't need the restore disk, but just in case, have it handy.

That should hopefully fix the problem. If it doesn't... feel free to attack me for steering you wrong and we will try it from a different angle.

Hope that helps,

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page