Reformating computer

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Reformating computer
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Product key / product id woes  2   05/14 06:30pm
REFORMATE SERVER COMPUTER  1   02/22 07:15pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Kris on Friday, February 09, 2001 - 04:25 pm:

Thanks for taking the time. I am desperately looking for instructions on how to reformate my computer. Long story. But here I am ready but I don't know what to do. Understand there are about 12 steps to accomplish this. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, February 09, 2001 - 05:18 pm:

Kris:

Here is how to reformat your drive. Please understand that by doing this you will lose all information stored on your computer.

I am assuming you still have windows on your computer? If not, you need to get a Windows 98 start-up disk before continuing. If you have windows still installed, or can get to a machine, here is how to make one:

Click start/settings/controlpanel/add-remove programs.
Click on the startup disk tab. Choose create disk. Make sure you have a blank floppy in the drive.

Before continuing, make sure you have your windows 98 cd-rom AND THE PRODUCT KEY. You CANNOT install it without the product key.

Place your floppy in the drive and reboot the computer. The computer will boot to A:>. Here is what to type in:

A:> Format c: /s [enter]

This will reformat C drive and make it startable. (don't nessesarily need the /s, but I like using it.)

Once your hard drive is reformatted, reboot again with the floppy still in the drive.

Once booted, place your cd-rom in the drive, and change into that drive:
A:> d: [enter]
Or, it may be A:> e: [enter]

Then type this:
D:> cd win98 [enter]

Then this:

D:\WIN98> setup [enter]

This will start the windows setup program. It should guide you through the rest of the windows installation.

Hope that helps,

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Kris on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 03:49 pm:

Thanks so much for your instructions Josh I appreciate it. I understand the process as you wrote it but I do not know what the 'product key' is??? Perhaps Ive heard of it by a different name? Anyway I am operating on win95 so I assume this will work as it would for win98? thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 04:13 pm:

Kris:

Yes, the same steps should be followed to reformat and reinstall windows.

However, if I remember right, Win95 had some cd-rom recognition problems with the startup disk. So when you make your startup disk, try to change to your cd-rom directory before you reformat to make sure the computer detects your cd-rom properly.

Secondly, I am not sure if the setup program is inside a folder or not. Once changing to your cd-rom directory, type 'setup' and hit enter. If that doesn't start setup, then try changing into win95 directory: 'cd win95' [enter]. Then type in setup.

You MUST have your product key to be able to reinstall windows. It should be located on the book that came with Windows CD. It will be on your certificate of authenticity which should be on the front cover.

If you still cannot locate it, there is a couple ways to get the information from the computer. I have looked online for a program I have, called CPUinfo... but have been unable to locate it. If you want, I can email you the software (if I still have the install program on my computer... think I do.) Just drop me a line at josh@dyno-mite.com.

There is a way to get into the registry and find that information too. However, I don't know how to do it... someone else that posts to this board may. Just don't try reinstalling without the code, you can't do it.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Kris on Saturday, February 17, 2001 - 02:01 am:

Thanks again Josh, I read everything you wrote and I think that the best I can do is locate the manual - im sure that it is here somewhere and then try to follow your instructions. thanks again!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 09:46 pm:

Add Message Error

The message you entered is larger than the maximum size for a message as specified by the board administrator. Message size is limited to 1 kilobytes. Your message was 3.041 kilobytes. You can try splitting this message into two or more separate posts.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page