Sharing ISP

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Sharing ISP
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Barbara Credille on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 08:01 am:

I have a Windows 98 computer, a Windows NT 4.0 Server and a Windows 2000 Professional Workstation. They are networked via a small hub. All have Nic cards. At the moment I have Compuserve installed on the 98 computer. Is there a way to "share" this service on all three?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 07:10 pm:

Barbara:

Yes it is possible to share that connection.

First, you must make sure the internet sharing is installed. Go to start/settings/controlpanel/add-remove programs.
Click on the Windows setup tab.
double-click on "communications" in the list. Place a checkmark next to "share internet connection" box. Hit ok, ok. It should start the program automatically.

You need to select your ISP in the pull-down menu and hit next.
Select your network card to share accross and hit next.
Then, tell it if you want it to connect automatically if the other computers request it. I am not so sure this will work with compuserve, but it will work with a basic ISP for sure. If it doesn't, you will just have to connect on the win98 machine and then use the others.
Also, the other computers will just use Internet Explorer to share the connection. They will not use the compuserve browser. You may think about getting a regular ISP so that it will connect automatically, and the other computers can't use compuserve's features anyway.
Hit next.
Create a networking setup disk in the next screen. This will set up the internet sharing on the other machines.

That should do it. You will have to run the disk on the other machines though. Also, I am not positive this will work on NT or 2000, but it is worth a try.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Sunday, February 11, 2001 - 03:29 am:

A slight warning:

I did the previous stuff using ME just so that I would be able to write instructions. It TOTALLY wrecked my internet connection. Took me about an hour of screwing with my settings till I figured out what was causing the problem. Maybe it all occured because I didn't finish setting it up or something, I dunno.

So....if you install the sharing program and your internet connection ceases to work, uninstall the share program, reboot, re-setup your internet connection.

Quite fun.

Josh

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page