Is it the motherboard?

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Is it the motherboard?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Xp proccessor problem  2   11/09 07:07pm
WinMe not responding (hanging) problems  3   01/19 12:43pm
Bios  1   03/25 11:23pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gary kendall on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 09:17 pm:

some background: shutting down my computer I closed all programs hit ok and the screen went blue. I tried to reboot a few times and finally got a check the signal box on screen. Called in the "pros" they started by checking the video card. actually I have no card its built in to the board. so appartently by pressing on the ram chip everything came back but they're not sure that did it either. reattached printerand scanner one at a time and everything seemed fine. When we rebooted after all reconnections were made my start-up menu was different and my taskbar and systray were different, I'm referring to the layout and my desktop icons also came back in a different arrangement. Later that evening upon booting I got the message FDC failure press f1 to continue,upon continuing everything seems to load fine except I get the message the scanner detector can't find microtek sheetfed or flatbed scannerwith adf,adp,or go button. check power and/or scsi cable connection now. further follow throug gets the message of status-the interface card is missing. My "pros" say I don't have an interface card. disconnection the scanner at the pc and I still get the same can't find message. It is suggested I run check-it to find out what is going on. so any suggestions, or ? the motherboard is a Soyo. Thanks Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 06:15 pm:

Hey Gary,

It sounds like a motherboard problem to me. I think something has happened to your board that is causing these problems (ie: power surge, short in the board).... something like that has occured.

I have used soyo and have never had a problem with them, but from what you are writing, it sounds like your motherboard may be shot. I would see if your warranty is still in affect, and if so, get the board replaced.

I recently worked on a computer where the mouse wasn't working, and while I was trying to fix that, the floppy drive quit working, and while I was working on that, the internal video died.... it ended up being a bad motherboard.

Your problem sounds similar in that you are not just having one thing go wrong, it is several things, all related to the motherboard, all happening within the relatively same time period... so that, to me, says "motherboard problem."

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 06:16 pm:

Oh, almost forgot:

the start menu and desktop problem - do you log onto your computer with a username/password?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gary kendall on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 06:25 pm:

hi Josh, thanks for the feedback. the only log on is with my isp which is of course a username/password but I don't get asked for these. Hope that answers the intent of your question. Went into settings and put my menu back but the trays at the bottom are still different. they were double row and now they're single. thanks Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 06:30 pm:

Well, I am not quite sure how that got changed without you directly making some changes....unless while things were being worked on, some settings file got erased.

If you want to make the taskbar double-row again, just hover the mouse over the top of it, it will turn into a two-headed arrow. Then, just click and drag upwards and it will stretch the menu another row.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By carl on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 11:14 pm:

Hi,Need info as to how to flash bios, have the flash on a floppy disc and woud like to know the proper way to flash it.I noticed there is a certain way to do this .Please help me either trogh this or to my email Thankx, Carl

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page