Cached Speed ?

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Hard drive related: Cached Speed ?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sis2blu32@aol.com on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 07:05 pm:

Hi, can anyone tell me what this? And how to speed it up.I did a test on my system at
PC pitstop.com it tell's me I have unusually low disk performance. Cached speed is 72.14MB/or (62%)
say's the average is 115.87MB/s for a like system I have a Pentium111 800MHz 256MB-memory 20GB drive
w/ Windows Me .I have disabled all programs that I don't need from the auto start. but it did not improve. So should i even worry about this ?
Laura..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 02:42 pm:

Laura:

Although your cache seem to be running a little slower than what the pcpitstop.com recommends, this is not a major issue. I wouldn't worry about this at all. Basically, your cache is what your computer uses to get to recent information quickly.

(history lesson: Cache means "to hold close" and that is why this name is used for the computer.)

Your computer has to locate data that you want on your hard disk each time you ask for it. But lets say you open up a certain document quite frequently. Well, the computer puts that document in your cache so that it can find it and open it faster than having to search for it on the hard drive.

However, you have an 800 mhz PIII. So that slower cache performance corresponds to a few miliseconds of speed loss. I just don't think it is a big enough issue to worry about.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Laura on Sunday, May 20, 2001 - 01:55 pm:

Thank you Josh, I did not think it was a major issue but as a newbie it's sure nice to have the confirmation. Thank's again for you're time and knowledge. This is a great site
Laura

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page