Ram memory

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Ram memory
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
RAM  2   09/13 07:35pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dragoll on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 01:36 am:

My computer came with 128mb ram I added another 128mb. When I look to see how much I have in the system summary it reads: Total physical memory 255.45mb Available physical memory 128.17mb. And that is when all I'm running is the help program. I know something isn't right because I will bog down with can't open program not enough free memory. This is when I'm not running much at all. Do I have to change something to make this new memory available? Hope someone can help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 04:36 am:

Dragoll:

Is it saying, "not enough free MEMORY" or is it saying "not enough FREE SPACE"....they are two very different things.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dragoll on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 03:55 am:

Hi Josh, It says free memory. I have 30 gb hard drive I've never gotten the 'FREE SOME DISK SPACE"
from this computer. I have run into a lot of wierd quirks with this new 'puter. I am running on ME I would never get it now but hind site is 20/20 right? I had someone tell me I might be having and memory board miss match problem. The sales person(over the phone) told me the memory I ordered was the same as that in the new 'puter but
when I put it in I noticed that the one I put in had chips on both sides and the one already in there had them on only one side. I took out each one individually. And checked summary each time. Both times I only had 6mb of available space left. I guess I have a million things running all the time. I'm new on a big machine. But WOW what could use up 128mb on idle? I don't know where to look to see what is using all that ram. And do you know if the miss match could be causing all these problems? FYI I have a 1gh athlon chip. I'm ready to pull my hair out. :O( Thanks for all your help. Dragoll

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 02:31 pm:

Hey Dragoll:

It shouldn't matter that one memory chip has chips on both sides and the other only on one side. Depending on the size of the memory chip and the manufacturer, it can have them on one or two sides.

It seems like you have a LOT running in the background. Look in the taskbar by the clock. Do you have a bunch of icons there? Those are programs running in the background, and each one consumes some of your free resources. The purpose is that when you go to start a program, it is already running in the background, so it loads much faster. You don't really need any of that stuff running.... the resources you save will make up for the time to start a program. On my home computer, I only have Norton running on mine.

Right-click on my computer, go to properties, and notice what percentage of resources you have free.

You can disable those programs by right-clicking each one, going to settings or properties....then choosing "don't start with windows" or unchecking a box that says "start with windows".

When you go and do all of that, reboot the computer. Right-click on my computer, go to properties, and notice what percentage of resources you have free.

For the ones that didn't get shut off, you can go to start/run. Type in 'msconfig' without the quotes. Click on the startup tab. In the list of programs you can uncheck the ones that you don't want to start with windows. If it is something that you don't know what it is, don't uncheck it.

Reboot after each unchecked item to make sure unchecking one doesn't create a problem.

Once all of that is done, right-click my computer, go to properties, and notice the free resources.

I am betting doing those things will free up a LOT. BTW, windows will always use a good bit of the resources...if it has resources free, it will utilize them, so don't expect the percentage to get extremely high.

Sounds like you have a pretty good computer... good job going with the Athlon instead of the pentium. :)

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By THEQUEEN on Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 03:02 am:

Hi
I am having the exact same problem.I have a compaq with windows ME,couldn't agree more its like having a virus all the time,In fact when I described its behavior constant errors in user WAOL,KERNAL ERRORS ETC,YOU QUYS WERE ALL CONVINED I HAD A VIRUS,BUT WHAT I HAD WAS THE A SERVERE CASE OF ME,LOL.IT JUST SUCKS.
I only have 63 MB RAM , RESOURSES 54% free, 100%LOAD,10355 TOTAL SPACE 7927 AVAILABLE ON C DRIVE,I'VE DEFRAGED,USE DISK CLEAN-UP AT STARTUP AND SHUTDOWN EVERY PROGRAM BUT NORTON HASN'T CHANGED ATHING,IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I CAN DO I KNOW SOMETHING JUST ISN'T RIGHT,I'M READY TO GIVE IT THE FLOAT TEST,LOL
THANKS
Debbie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Doug Davis on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 09:22 pm:

I just bought a 256MB RAM card on eBay and it will not work. It is DDR, 2100, DIMM, same as in my computer now. I've tried it in all the slots and it won't be recognized. I ran Micro2000 diagnostics and it doesn't show up there either.

Is there a definitive test that will definitely show the RAM as "good" or "Bad?"

Thanks,

Doug Davis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By David Overley on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 05:28 pm:

I have a Arsys MicroQuest laptop model P79T with 32MB RAM. I bought it as a surplus item from a Univesity that was upgrading. I am taking a computer repair course at the local vocational school, but the guys there are not too keen to give advice about an orphan laptop. I tried to upgrade with a 128MB SO-DIMM chip. The memory sockets are under a hatch door on the under side of the computer. There were two sockets, one empty. On booting up it read 32MB memory. I switched sockets and got the same. So maybe I zapped the new chip with static. I was grounded, but the computer wasn't. But before I try to install another chip (with better static protection) I want to find out if I have a configuration problem. It was mentioned to me that "IT" might be set up so as to not accept the extra memory. I know the U. programer hid the STARTUP.EXE file so you have to go looking for it in it's secret hiding place. I just wonder what other kinds of evil widows voodoo he did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By David Overley on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 07:05 pm:

When I posted my last message, I forgot to include my e-mail address. Here it is.
yelrevo@webtv.net

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page