Need help with CD drive,it acts very wierd!

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Need help with CD drive,it acts very wierd!
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frank on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 11:14 pm:

I use my computer too play video games . So I use the CD drive to insert my game disc but recently it hasn't been working correctly. It does all kinds of weird things so I am going to explain them all. First is the most annoying, I insert the disc and it seems to start fine, except it starts to speed up very fast. Then dies down, then it goes very fast again... then dies down. It repeats this over and over until I eject the disc. When the disc comes out it spins furiously in its tray! It will do this in the middle of a game and the game will stop and freeze. Next, in the middle of a game windows (I think) brings up a completely blue screen that says "Please insert CDROM into drive D ..If the CD is already in it may require cleaning" (Or some thing like that) I've already tried cleaning the discs but none of them have any scratches or dirt. If the drive it self was dirty, would it not start at all? Finally, sometimes I insert the the CD and it wont start. Usually the game will start on its own. So I go to MY COMPUTER and try to start it from there. It brings up the message "Device is not ready?" I have asked around, know one knows much. I think I have herd that it has something to do with my driver. What's that? Can any one help me out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 04:23 am:

Frank:

Is this all happening with the same game? If so, it is probably because the cd has a scratch on it.

If not, your cd-rom could be going bad... you might need to replace it (30.00 at a local store).

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frank on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 10:47 pm:

So that would be it? Its going bad? Is there a way to mabey fix myself? Could it have any thing to do with my software? If I have to bye a new one would you recomend an external drive? or what would you recomend? Could a Cd-RW replace it do i need to by a normal CD drive?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 04:46 am:

Well, don't take my word as truth. I could be wrong. Have someone that can take a look at it look at it... all i am doing is trying to figure it out without being able to see it for myself. So from what i have seen, yes, I believe it is going bad.

No, don't go with an external drive, much slower, and unless you would be moving it from one computer to another, a waste of additional money.

A regular, standard I/O magic or Sound Blaster, or whatever brand cd-rom will work fine. I would get something that is at least 32X.

Yes, a cd-rw could replace a regular cd-rom.

Once again, don't go replacing anything until someone can really diagnose it firsthand... but I am thinking you need to spend 30 bucks on a new cd-rom.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Darlene Deveaux on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 05:17 pm:

I recently installed a cd burner (LG).The software with it was Roxio 5.0. I was able to burn three cd's successfully then I couldn't access it anymore. I uninstalled the software and have tried to reinstall it with no luck. The computer recognizes the drive but the installation won't go through. It keeps asking me for the disk to be put in drive 1?? I put in the disk and it won't install it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By george.davies2 on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 04:01 pm:

Hi Guy's
I am a newbie, Newbie,

I have a 40Xmax CD drive and a 32x12x40 CD.RW drive installed.

Until I reformatted my PC, which I have done several times, without a problem, Both of these drives were working perfectly, Now the CD Drive will not function, I can't copy or play CDs.

The CD.RW is working perfectly.

I have been to Start, Run etc, it will not play, I get a message saying 'Please insert disk in Drive E'

I have checked with the Device Manager which tells me 'The Device is working properly'

I have tried updating the driver, I get 'The best driver Windows has found,is already installed', etc.

Can anyone throw some light on the subject, have you had this happen to you ???

I would be extremely grateful for any advice.

Thank you

George.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page