Networking

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Networking
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Home networking  1   11/08 11:31pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jack R. Lambert on Sunday, July 01, 2001 - 06:09 pm:

Hi:
I have an HP 8776C and an eTower 667ir and both have Me OS. What hardware and software do I need to network just these 2 computers so that I can share an ISP with them?
Jack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 09:32 pm:

Jack:

Look at the back of the computers. Do you see a jack that looks like it will take a phone jack, except bigger? If so, that is a network card. If not, you will need to buy one for both computers. Just go by any computer or office supply store and pick a couple generic ones up for 15-20.00 each.

You will have to open the case and install the cards in an open PCI slot. Then, load the software so that your computer will know what you have put inside it.

Next, you will need a network cable, but not regular network cable. You will need a "Patch" cable, which has wires reversed on one end. If you don't use a network hub to connect the computers, then this is the wire you need.

Next, hook up the two computers using the Patch cable. You should see a light come on on the network cards when you have hooked in both ends.

That is the hardware part.

For software, you will need to right-click on Network Neighborhood, and go to properties.

Click once on the TCP/IP for network card. Click the properties button. Click the IP address tab, and choose "specify IP address."

For IP address, use: 192.168.0.1
For subnet mask, use: 255.255.255.0
Click the OK button

Click the Identification Tab.

You should have a name in the box, for workgroup, type in LAN.

Hit OK. Your computer shoudl ask to reboot, so reboot it.

Follow the same procedure for the second computer, but instead of the IP information above, use the following:
IP: 192.168.0.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Once both computers are booted, click start, run. Type in Command and hit enter.

Type "ping 192.168.0.2" from the computer with the .1 ip address. You should get a reply. This means they are networked.

Let me know if you get that far, and we will work on the internet sharing.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Bill on Saturday, November 10, 2001 - 02:03 am:

Josh, I posted this but being a brand new member, I think it went into the ether somewhere. i have 2 computers which I wish to network. #1 is a w98 the other is ME. Both have static IP addresses. both ping the ISP. The ME pings the 98 but the 98 does not ping the ME. (Netgear hub-works fine)

I must be doing something wrong but can't figure it out. Can you help?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Saturday, November 10, 2001 - 04:50 am:

Bill -

I saw this before, but didn't respond because I really wasn't sure what the problem there was. It may be beyond my level of knowledge.

I couldn't find any relevant information regarding this problem on Micro$oft's site, so no help there.

I believe this has something to do with the ME though, and not the 98 machine. Let me share an example: A company added a win2000 machine to their peer network. When that happened, all of the win95 machines quit working on the network. I could ping them, no problem. But couldn't browse the network, at all. Of course, they didn't tell me this and I spent a long time trying to figure it out, but that is another story...

I think the ME has something similar to this - an autodetection "smart" network capability. You need to make sure you setup all of the settings on the ME machine manually.

Double-check and make sure the subnet mask is the same and the workgroup is identical. Secondly, power down the ME and 98 machines. Unplug the hub, then power it back on. Power on the 98 machine next. Log on to the 98 machine. Then, power on the ME machine last. Log on. See if that works. (Sometimes the little things can be the whole problem.)

If it isn't that, post back with more info and I will try again, but that is my take on it.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dale Pike on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 10:18 pm:

Hi,
My cable provider just installed a network on
my machine (win98) and my daughter's machine (win95) through our phone line.

The good part is that it works great for both of us to be able to share access of the cable modem to get online.

The bad part is that I can't seem to get her computer to be able to share files and printers.
When I click on the "Network" icon in the control panel, the bar to "share files and printers" is grayed out and not clickable...

Any suggestions?
thanks,
Dale

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 07:29 am:

Dale...how is the cable modem shared? Is it by software that the cable people installed? Or is it setup with Internet Connection Sharing through Windows?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dale Pike on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 06:40 am:

My computer (win98) is downstairs and is the
main computer hooked up to the cable modem.
My daughter's computer (win95) is upstairs and
connected to my computer via the phone line.

The portal and network set up is by 2Wire.

Her computer can get online via cable, so I know
it's actually on the network. I can see her
computer listed on the 2Wire software on my computer.
When I go to click on the link for "sharing files and printers", I get an error stating her computer
can't be found...

I'm lost...
Thanks for any advice!

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page