Cd rom error message: D:\is not accessible/not ready

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: CD Players: Cd rom error message: D:\is not accessible/not ready
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Cd rom problems  1   12/19 11:53pm
Win XP cannot find drive D  1   09/07 02:55am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Cheryl on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 03:10 am:

Recently I cannot use my cdrom drive. The D:\ drive icon is in My Computer, but when I try to use a cd (PC game or music)I get the same message, "device is not ready", "D:\drive is not accessible". Also the light on the drive stays on (orange not green)I think it used to be green?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 06:03 pm:

Hi Cheryl:

This sounds like your cd-rom may have gone bad. Here is a way to check on it:

Create a startup disk: (start/settings/control panel/add-remove programs.) Click on the Startup Disk tab. Click "create disk". Insert a blank floppy disk in Drive A: and hit OK.

This creates a disk that will allow you to boot from and have cd-rom support. Click start/shutdown, restart computer, and hit OK. Insert the startup disk in drive a if you have taken it out.

During the boot, it will ask if you want to boot with or without cd-rom support, you want to choose With. When it is done booting, it should have said which drive letter was assigned to the cdrom in the text that was displayed along with "mscdex.exe".

Insert a DATA cdrom disk, not music.

If your cd-rom is drive D, then type in:
D: [enter]
That should change to the cdrom drive. If you get a D:> type in "dir" without quotes and hit enter. This should list all the files on the cd-rom.

If you see things that are not on the cd-rom, try drive e for your cd:
e: [enter key]
dir [enter key]
that should list the files if d doesn't.

Post back and let us know if you got a listing of the files on the cd, or if you got an error message.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Cheryl on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 04:31 am:

Thanks, Josh, for answering my post so quickly. I tried what you suggested and this is what happened.
I put a Warcraft II Cdrom game in and the dir. said "volume in drive d is MS-RAMDRIVE Directory of D:\" some of the files listed were: ATTRIB.EXE, CHKDSK.EXE, COMMAND.EXE, DEBUG.EXE, EDIT, EXT, EXTRACT
I tried E drive & got an error message "CDR101: Not Ready Reading drive E, Abort/Retry/Fail" Usually my cdrom is under drive D.
I don't know if this could be related, but I am also having trouble with the clock on my computer. It seems to stop when I turn the computer off.
What do you think? Any suggestions?
Thanks again for the help.
Cheryl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 01:46 am:

Josh,
Maybe you could explain to Cheryl how to remove the CD ROM from her PC (thru the device manager) then let windows re-install it again to see if that will clear up the problem.

As far as the clock stopping sounds like C-Mos Battery may be dead. Just a couple ideas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 06:22 pm:

Thanks Anon,

Cheryl forgive me... I have been busy and will be out of town this weekend, so let me respond before I wait too long.

Anon makes a good suggestion about removing and reinstalling the cd-rom from windows, but by booting to a startup disk, you are running the cd-rom from DOS using dos drivers, so that issue was taken out by using the dos drivers.

Whenever you boot from a dos diskette, it loads certain files to a "pretend" drive, that it names D. That moves all of your other drive letters down one. So, if your CD-Rom was D, it is now E.

The error message you recieve when trying to get a directory listing on E was what I was looking for. This message means one of two things: Either the cdrom in the drive is scratched or no good, or the CD-rom is bad. So, try another cd-rom, if you get the same msg, it means that your cd-rom has gone bad. Because windows is out of the equation, we know it is not a software problem, only hardware.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if it is the cd-rom, it doesn't cost but about 30-40 dollars for a replacement, and I would be more than happy to walk you through an installation.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Cheryl on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 02:50 am:

Thanks, Josh, I will keep you posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Cheryl on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 06:52 pm:

I'm pretty sure it is my CDRom drive that is bad. (now that I have done all you suggested) My computer is a Comtex pentium 200mmx so is a few years old. I am debating upgrading to a newer model. Have a really good Sylvania 17" monitor and a USRobotix 56k modem with this computer plus of course keyboard, mouse and speakers so I may just replace the tower. No hurry though, I'll just keep my eyes open for a good deal! If I replace the CMos battery & CDrom drive in this tower, it could be a good games computer for the kids! Again, thanks for your help! This is a great service!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 03:47 am:

Dude, your problem with the clock is that your CMOS battery is dead. It's a watch battery inside there that keeps things going when your computer is unplugged. It could be causing your CDROM problem too because the BIOS forgets the letter assigned to it and where to look for it every time you power down your computer. It's a long shot with the CDROM, but the clock thing is definitely the battery and you should replace it before it causes more problems.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page