New harddrive has no letter designation

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Hard drive related: Can I have 2 hard drives: New harddrive has no letter designation
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Douglas Davis on Friday, August 10, 2001 - 06:21 pm:

I just installed a used 8.4 GB harddrive and everything seems to checkout: Device manager says it is working fine without any conflicts and that the driver is ok. Bios setup shows the HD as a slave (true), no error codes, etc.

I just don't have a drive letter assigned to the drive so I can access it. Windows detects the drive and reports its' presence, but no letter.

My main 40GB drive is C:, CD-ROM is D:, CD-RW is E: What the heck do I need to do to get the drive assigned a letter so I can access it?

My OS is WinME.

Thanks,

Doug

mailto:dougd@cros.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, August 10, 2001 - 06:37 pm:

Doug:

You need to run fdisk to setup partitions on the drive, and then format the drive in fat32 before windows can see it.

You seem pretty knowledgeable, so I won't list specific fdisk and format instructions, but if you need them, post back, I will be happy to give them.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Douglas Davis on Friday, August 10, 2001 - 06:53 pm:

Thanks for your reply, Josh :)

I was using this drive as my main C: drive in another computer before removing it. It is partitioned and FAT32. I have about 7 Gigs of good information on the drive that I want to transer to the new 40GB drive.

Is there a way I can run fdisk and repartition without losing the data?

Thanks,

Doug Davis

mailto:dougd@cros.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, August 10, 2001 - 09:33 pm:

Doug:

Ok, I think I am wrong. If the disk is already a formatted fat32 drive, then it can't be an fdisk/format problem.

Is the drive a slave to the main hd, or to one of the cd devices? Try making it slave to the other hd if it is not.

Boot using a windows boot diskette. (start/settings/control panel - add/remove programs) Click the startup disk tab, and click "create disk".

Once booted, try finding the hd using drive letters.

type c: [enter] and you will select c drive.
type d: [enter] and you should get your second hd.

See if that works. (This will help determine if the issue is win related, or hardware related.)

No, there is not a way to partition with fdisk and save data, you must use third party software like "partition magic." However, I don't think that fdisk is needed in this case.

Try the above and see what happens.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, August 10, 2001 - 09:34 pm:

My "boot to startup disk" instructions were pretty bad there. Once you create the boot diskette, click start/shutdown, restart.

Insert the boot diskette in the floppy drive, and let the computer boot up with the disk still in the slot. When it finishes, it will give you an a prompt (A:\>)

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Alan on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 11:16 am:

If the second drive came from an old machine I'm guessing it was formatted as a single C: drive in which case it has a single "primary" partition.
The (preinstalled?) C: drive on the newer machine will aslo have a single "primary" partition and you can only use a single primary at any time. If you use the BIOS utility to change which drive to search for an operating system from "IDE-0" to "IDE-1" you may be able to boot the older drive which will not be able to see the new one.
Unfortunately if you want to use a second physical drive for data storage it needs to be formatted as an "extended" partition with a logical drive or drives contained within, unless you wish to "dual boot" with 2 O/S's which requires a boot manager utility and bios support.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page