DSL & CABLE concerns

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: DSL & CABLE concerns
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
ETHERNET CARD PROBLEM INSTALLING  1   09/30 12:04am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By small0ne on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 03:42 pm:

I'm thinking of getting dsl or cable. But I have a few concerns about it. My first is being hooked on the net 24-7. My PC has Windows ME. Two days, with minimum use, and my PC slows down to a drag. Increase that, and I crash.
Can you shut your PC down while on DSL or Cable?
Is it recommended? How often can you? Or is it a big no - no on this type of service? Is there a proper or better way to handle this sort of situation on DSL and Cable? If you can shut down, should you base your reboots on the performance of your pc, or just shut it down anyway when your done for the day?
I also need to know of the best firewalls to use with DSL and cable?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 04:38 am:

Small0ne:

You should be concerned hooked into dsl or cable 24/7. There are several security concerns. And a firewall is a definate move. I suggest getting the personal version of ZoneAlarm, which is free for download from http://www.zonealarm.com

As for WinME, I think it is the biggest peice of crap.... but it shouldn't be in the state you mention, even if it is ME. Try running a disk cleanup, a defrag, and then cut down the number of programs you have running in the background. (Not sure how to do some of this? Just let me know.)

You can shut down your computer even with DSL or Cable. Whenever you reboot, your connection will be restored.

Personal preference really dictates whether or not you should shut down after each day... it doesn't matter really.

Hope that helps,

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 05:50 am:

Thank You Josh!

small0ne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By newguy on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 12:08 pm:

I can only use Satellite DSL at my location, we now use Satellite for TV. Will the DSL experence
"Rain Fade", as the tv does? I can't get a answer from DirectWay, is this something they are trying to quietly keep shelved? If someone has used Satellite DSL, what unpublished problems can I expect? Thanks, neuguy

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page