HD conflict, controllers

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Hard drive related: HD conflict, controllers
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
DMA hard drives pt 1  2   04/25 05:57am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Robert J. on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 04:42 pm:

I have two hard drives in my PC. It came to me with out OS. So I bought Win98 SE full OEM, brand new in shrink wrap. Here it is: I ran into a problem and was told to go to device manager. I did and it showed an exclamation point next to one of my drives. I double clicked it and went into details. I discovered that there are interupt requests going on between my two hard drives. I didn't know how to set it so I clicked on default settings, then apply. This got me past my problem, but with some additional difficulty. However, I am running properly now. Yet, I still have the exclamation point next to my c drive, and the details section still shows interrupt requests are happening. As far as I can tell there is nothing on my d drive, which is the larger of the two. Why am I having this conflict, and how do I get rid of it. If I remember correctly I attempted to put something on the d drive and that is how I discovered the conflict.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Sunday, September 30, 2001 - 04:08 am:

Robert:

What IRQ is being assigned for the IDE controllers? What is the exact number, and are the two sharing the same one? Are there any other devices using the IRQ assigned to one of the IDE controllers?

(You can get a quick view of what is using which IRQ's by clicking start/programs/accessories/system tools/system information.
Click the + next to the hardware resources section, then click on IRQ.

Josh (posting periodically)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Robert Jarrard on Sunday, September 30, 2001 - 10:44 pm:

Hey Josh, thanx for the hit. Was beginning to wonder if any one out there. OK. IRQ 9, Adaptec AIC-7880 PCI SCSI Controller. IRQ 9, IRQ Holder for PCI Steering. No IRQ 10, 10 is not in list at all. IRQ 11, unsupported device,(I think this is my sound card, which I cannot make work). IRQ 11, IRQ Holder for PCI Steering. IRQ 12&13 not on list. IRQ 14, Intel 82371SB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller. IRQ 15, Intel 82371SB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller. IRQ 6 is listed as Free. Hope this is what you needed to know so you can help out, I sure appreciate your time, THANX!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 02:32 am:

Robert,

From what you posted, everything looks ok. I am not sure why that error is happening.

One thing to try is to look inside the computer. Are the two drives hooked onto the same ide cable? If so, hook one onto the cdrom drive cable.

You may have to adjust jumpers for this:
Before changing anything, look on your startup screen during boot, it will give "primary master/slave, secondary master/slave".

If the cd-rom is set as secondary master, simply unplug the cord from the d drive and plug in the one from the cdrom.

If the cd-rom is set as secondary slave, then take out the d drive, pull the jumper off the back and place it on the "MA" spot. This will set it as master.

Try that and see what error, if any, you get.

Josh (posting periodically)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 06:15 pm:

Hi Josh, could you tell me how to clean out the hard drive without deleting the things that you have to have?

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page