How to turn on my sound card

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Sound Card Concerns: How to turn on my sound card
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Sound card problems  1   11/22 07:10pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Robert J. on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 12:56 pm:

My PC came to me without OS. I loaded brand new Win98 SE, full OEM. At first the OS would not detect my sound card but I knew I had one since I was looking at it. I tried several times to fix this. Finally went to device manager and clicked on aud. vid. gm.cont. since it had a ? next to it. I got to tell the PC to load a driver for the sound card. It could not find the proper one on the net, or on my Win98 CD-Rom disk. It finally picked a driver, but told me it may not work properly. Now the OS tells me that the device is there and is working properly (no conflicts) yet I cannot get any sound. I did hear one single click sound from my speakers at initial turn on, nothing since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Sunday, September 30, 2001 - 12:11 am:

Robert:

You have to get the drivers from the manufacturer of the sound card. Find out the Manufacturer and the model number. Then go to the manu site (name + .com usually), click support, look for drivers, and find the ones for your sound card.

Once downloaded, if it is an EXE file, run it. If it is a drv or sys file, right-click on my computer, left-click on properties. Click device manager. Click to reinstall driver for your sound card. WHen it asks for a disk, make sure the "look in" location is the folder where you saved your downloaded driver to.

Josh (posting periodically)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Robert Jarrard on Sunday, September 30, 2001 - 07:20 pm:

Hey Josh, it's me Robert, again. I see your tag all over this site. You must be busy!! I tell ya though, we need someone like you!!! Any how, I have taken my sound card out and inspected it and can find no identifying information i.e. name or anything. In device manager it is listed as unknown. Am I just S.O.L.?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Sunday, September 30, 2001 - 10:25 pm:

No, you aren't out of luck, .... inspect the sound card a little closer.

Look on the actual chips themselves. Pick out one of the big black squares, and write down the information found on it. Do this for all of the larger squares, don't worry about the smaller ones.

Then, post back with that info.

Josh (posting periodically)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Robert J. on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 03:42 pm:

Hey Josh, how ya doin? I'm still pluggin away at it. Here it is! On the only chip big enough to have any print: AOpen, AS9200, 98290S1. Printed w/white paint on front of card: AW200, 99929.1.2, 48118612.01, Stamped on the back of the card: NEE 1S 94V-0 0001, on a peel-n-stick label: P/N: 90.18610.202, S/N: 00409049KU A, As far as my other post about hardware conflict, I couldnt make sense of the cables in there and I'm going to have to study it out closer before I go swappin plugs and moving jumpers around. Thanx anyhow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 05:11 pm:

Hey Robert:

Here is what you need:
http://www.aopen.com/scripts/ftplist.asp?pub/driver/sound/aw200/aw9x3032.exe

Simply click the link, download the file, then run it. It will install the drivers for your card automatically and should (hopefully) set it up properly. Let me know how it works.

Josh (posting randomly, periodically, and inconsistantly.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Robert J on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 02:48 pm:

Hey Josh! I tried the link and it didn't work so I went to aopen and found the file and thier link wouldnt open the download. I e-mailed them and they sent me thier ftp site. I went there with my eLeet ftp program and located the file, downloaded it and installed it. I now have a speaker Icon in my task bar. I have tried everything I know of and can't get my sound turned on. I clicked on the Icon and clicked on sys config. Found exc. mark next to audio device. Clicked it and found device not existing or not working properly. What next?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Rober J on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 03:43 pm:

Hi Josh, me again. Just a P.S. In device manager after the not found or not working properly message, it stated (Code 10 ) Just realized that this bit of info MIGHT just be relevant and or helpfull

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 09:37 am:

Robert:

Go into device manager, remove all of the audio devices related to the Aopen device: if one is there for your modem, leave it alone.

Next, restart your computer. See what happens.

Josh (posting randomly, periodically, and inconsistantly.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Robert J. on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 11:10 am:

Hello again Josh! I've been busy lately. But, finally made it back. I went into device mgr. and could not find any thing to remove. I don't know what to look for, but I did find that box for conflicting devices. There are none or should I say no conflicts and or no conflicting devices listed. An unrelated Q: When I had my case open I found a pouch with a Poster size plastic placard laying out my PC and it's components. Also a 3.5 floppy labled HP Netserver Diagnostic Assistant. What is it for, can it help me out here? I'm afraid to try and use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Robert J on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 12:59 pm:

Hey Josh! Once again you did it, at least you got me on the right track. That aw9x3032 that you put me onto was the upgrade. That's why it didn't work to begin with. But I ended up in the right place thanx to you. I finally got hold of aopen tech. supp. and they got me straightened out. I'm rockin now, and it's great! Oh by the way it was the one right below the 3032, the 1206, that I needed. Hugest thanx Josh. Hope you understand just how much we really appreciate your help and that of all others like you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 11:15 pm:

No problem Robert... glad to help you out. Thanks for the thanks! :)

Josh

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page