Computer not receiving response from modem

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Modems: Computer not receiving response from modem
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ken Keating on Monday, November 05, 2001 - 06:56 am:

This is what I constantly get when I try using my dial up network.Ive tried closing out certain ports,Ive deleted and reinstalled my modem,I even went as far as putting in another modem,and still I get the same message,Computer not receiving response from modem!
Now dont laugh,but it is an old Packard Bell Legend Supreme 386. I know,its ancient,but until my new one arrives in a month or so its all I have.Anyone with any ideas?(other than the trash lol)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, November 06, 2001 - 05:25 pm:

Ken,

I may be wrong, but I think I have a pretty good idea what the problem is.

I am almost 100% sure you have win 3.1 on your machine. Am I right so far?

Ok, newer modems are called "softmodems". The reason that you can now buy a modem for 20-30 dollars is because they are controlled by software, and not by hardware. Instead of containing an expensive chip to run the modem, it uses software instructions that are built in to win9x/me/2000. Windows 3.1 does NOT have these commands built in.

So to make a modem work under 3.1, you will need to buy a full hardware modem. You can get a 3com US robotics hardware based modem for around 100.00 at a local computer store. Just be sure that you tell them which kind of modem you want.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ken on Friday, November 09, 2001 - 10:00 am:

JOSH,
Yes, it is a 3.1,WIN95
So, when you say, what type of modem; I should tell them, a 3com US robotics hardware based modem?

Josh,thanks a bunch, I really appreciate it,and will let you know how it turns out.

KEN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, November 09, 2001 - 05:20 pm:

Ken - yes, you need a Hardware-based modem, not a winmodem (or softmodem). If the salesperson is not sure, don't get it. Make sure someone that you talk to knows what you need.

Josh

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page