Surface scan

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Surface scan
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By alice on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 02:15 pm:

while on the web, got message, error writing to c drive,data may be lost, tried to defrag, wouldn't run, now every time it boots up, it runs scan disk, then a surface scan, surface scan shows bad cluster towards end of graph, when it gets to 1,525,285 clusters out of 1,584,490 clusters it says "out of memory" and goes back to scan disk, than surface scan again, i have 4.26 gb free out of 6.04 help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By suetoo on Friday, January 04, 2002 - 07:02 am:

Try starting up in "safe mode". after the 1st initial screen where it counts your memory stuff, hit your F8 key, and get to your menu. pick safe mode from the menu. When u get into windows, it might look funny, but that's ok.

run scandisk and defrag from safe mode. there is something running in the backround while it is trying to scan, so it runs out of memory. if you have a lot of icons down by your clock, that could be why. you need to remove some of them.

at least you should be able to get thru scan disk and defrag. If you go into the settings, you can tell it not to do a surface scan also.

Make sure that when you shut down your computer you go thru the start menu, start then shut down. wait for it to finish and then click your button (if you have to).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bearmomma on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 01:06 am:

HI I have been having that some problem did safe mode and then try to defrag in regular still would not work so in reg I can not scan disk or defrag please help thank you all

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page