Computer Won't turn off.

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Can' shutdown: Computer Won't turn off.
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Computer won't turn off  2   02/01 02:32pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Martin Kennedy on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 06:46 pm:

My computer is 2.5 years old and has been working fine. The only way I can turn my computer off is by unplugging the power cable. When I shut down the computer is does a restart. If I try to use the power button (the power supply turns off for a moment then turns back on again and the computer starts up. When I first purchased the computer it did the same thing. I took it back and got it fixed and now it is doing the same thing. It is an ATX PIII 450. With a DataExcel Motherboard. What could it be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 02:43 pm:

What operating system are you using? Win98 or something else?

As for turning it off, just hold in the power button for five seconds. It will turn off. This is a setting in the BIOS....easily turned off, but varies as to how by BIOS manufacturers. So, just know that you can hold in the power button for five seconds to turn off the pc. That isn't a motherboard problem, but a "feature". Granted, it's a retarded feature, but all newer computer pretty much come with this enabled by default.

When you go to shutdown, click start, shutdown. Just verify that the button that says "turn off computer" is selected. I know this sounds silly, but where I work this has happened to people a few times.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Chandler on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 07:08 pm:

Hello Josh, I have been having the same problem with my windows ME. When it finally turns off or I unplug it, on turning it back on in the morning it makes a grinding sound and other sorts of unfamiliar noises. I heard that Windows has something to fix it but don't remember where I read that. Thank you so much,

Chandler

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page