Dual hardrives

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Dual hardrives
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mitchell mcnair on Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 03:20 pm:

i added a secondary hard drive. both with win 98.
how do i access and run the data on the slave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 05:14 pm:

You can only have one bootable drive. When you bootup your machine, double-click my computer, and you should be able to access the slave drive that way.

However, you cannot run win98 from the slave or master, only the master.

If you aren't seeing the drive in my computer, then doublecheck your bios and make sure the drive is being detected properly. If it's not, you don't have a jumper set correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Norma Morarie on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 02:04 am:

I have a 3gb hard drive, want to add a 10gb, but would like it to be the main drive and make the 3gb the slave drive. Is this possible, and if so, how comlicated is it to do? Also, hear a lot about checking the bios --- how do you do that and what do you look for to know if it is recognizing the drive?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Norma Morarie on Monday, August 19, 2002 - 06:58 pm:

Can someone please answer my query of Aug.14th? I'm getting desperate for more hard drive! :-/
Thanks! Norma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, August 19, 2002 - 08:30 pm:

Norma:

The concern is that your computer may be too old to handle drives that are larger than 8 gigs. However, most major brands come with small software utilities that enable the PC the ability to use larger drives. So, that is the first thing to check (both western digital and maxtor do come with software utilities, what brand of drive is it?)

Secondly, yes, you can use the 10g as the master and the 3 as slave, and that is the best way of doing it, but it can be difficult to setup. The easiest way to do this is to purchase software called Norton Ghost, which I believe comes with Norton System Utilities. It will allow you to make a mirror image of your 3 gig drive onto the 10gig drive.

(Continued on next post)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, August 19, 2002 - 08:31 pm:

Another way of doing it, without costing money for software is this: Hook up and setup your 10gig drive and format it. Second, hook it and the 3gig drive to another computer. Copy all files from 3gig to 10gig. Then, hookup the 10 as master, 3 as slave on your computer. It would then have all of your data and settings on the new drive.

Once you have booted your computer using your 10gig drive, you can safely re-format the 3gig drive, knowing all data and programs are transferred.

With all that said, if you are unsure about doing the procedures listed above, your best bet is to hookup the 10gig as master, 3gig as slave, and just install windows on the 10 drive without trying to copy anything. Once you do that, you can boot to that drive, and copy over all documents and other data you need that is stored on your 3gig drive.

Josh Lowe
(Posting very rarely these days)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Norma Morarie on Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 10:50 am:

Josh, thanks SO much for the help. I'm thinkin' the second option you gave me will be the best way for me to go. I'm pretty new at this kind of thing, so I might ask some dumb questions -- bear with me. :-) Since I have a cd burner could I accomplish the transfer of files that way and reinstall necessary files from the disk to the 10gig? That way I wouldn't have to involve a second computer. Hope you've hung around long enough to get this post, I truly appreciate the help! Norma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 04:34 pm:

Norma,

You could use your cd burner to burn files, yes. The problem is you couldn't exactly make a copy of your old drive on cds. So, you would only be able to copy documents and other data, not programs.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Norma Morarie on Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 07:29 pm:

Josh, again, THANKS! I'm a 'Newbie/Oldie'(72 years young) and having a ball with all this learning! They say older people can keep their minds sharper by reading a lot -- well, I should be a genious by now --- (don't know what happened there!):-), it didn't work with me -- but I do keep trying. Don't leave the forum, I might need your expertise (sp?) again, and again. LOL Anyway, have a good one.
Norma

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page