This Is A Major Pain-Shift Key Won't Help Me With Caps Or Signs

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Keyboard Difficulties: This Is A Major Pain-Shift Key Won't Help Me With Caps Or Signs
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By longlashes on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 02:19 am:

Hi,
why won't the shift key work when depressed. it worked at one time but quit. this keyboard is only one year old. in order to get a capital letter, i have to press the caps key then depress it to get back to lower case letters. of course, it affects all the signs as well, the plus, star, percent, number, the at, exclamation mark. all of the signs above the numbers won't work at all. have i turned it off somehow, because if i did, i don't know how to turn it back on. for some reason i am thinking macro. maybe i created one to cause this, if i did it was unintentional and i certainly don't know how to un-create one at this point in time. thinking about how knowledgeable and patient you guys truly are. thanks, longlashes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 09:54 am:

Does the shift key under the Enter key work? If it does, then I suspect something is under the left shift key,or the contacts have become corroded, turn the keyboard upside down and shake it or blow it out with canned air. If that doesn't work, then I would just buy a new keyboard, they are very inexpensive, I just looked on the internet and found a lot of them from under $10 to $25.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By longlashes on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 06:36 pm:

Thank you Richard,

No, the shift key under the Enter key on the keyboard mentioned does not work. I guess I will pitch it to the trash. But, I do have a brand new keyboard called Logitech iTouch with it's own mouse but neither of those will work since I download a game from Yahoo a few days ago and attempted to play that game. Both keyboard and mouse quit on me. I have it hooked up correctly and the connection is secure on the back of the pc. Does the word DRIVERS come into play here. I am assuming that I need to un-install the software that came with it and re-install it again for the iTouch but when I turn on my pc with the iTouch keyboard connected it boots right into Windows which prompts me for my password which I am not able to type in with a keyboard that doesn't work. How do I load the installation software CD then to re-install. I am perplexed on this. Your excellent guidance is required once again. Thank you, longlashes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 03:34 am:

Beats me, maybe Josh has the answer. I am still using the same keyboard that came with my computer 3 years ago, so have no experience in that area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 08:15 am:

Plug in the pc with the keyboard that still works (minus shift). Log in. Then, install the drivers (cd or disk) that came with the logitech keyboard.

Question, does the logitech keyboard have USB connection? (Meaning, is the end that plugs into the back of the pc round, or rectangular?)

Keyboards don't require user-added drivers to run properly, drivers would only affect special features, such as one-touch buttons to start internet and so forth. However, USB ones may/may not require drivers to work properly.

So, log in with the keyboard that doesn't require shift, install whatever software you need, then put in logitech kb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By longlashes on Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 07:04 pm:

Hi Josh,

Got so far as plugging in the keyboard that still works - minus shift key that doesn't work -. I thought I would go take a look first in the control panel under keyboard. I checked or enabled the mulitmedia button which is what this H.P. keyboard is -multi- media and pressed enter and I get a pop-up with a red x that tells me,
CANNOT FIND KEYBOARD MANAGER. I think I should resolve this matter first before I connect and install the software for the Logitec board. Don't you think. What do I do at this point. If the keyboard manager can't be found then how will another keyboard work. Thanks so much for your help. longlashes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 10:21 pm:

The keyboard manager software is for the HP keyboard. You don't need to worry with that if you are replacing the keyboard with a logitech.

Just work on the Logitech software, don't worry about the media settings on the HP keyboard.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page