Replacing Onboard SVGA Chip with PCI Card.

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Video Cards: Replacing Onboard SVGA Chip with PCI Card.
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Replace video card  1   06/23 12:54am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Doug Davis on Friday, May 31, 2002 - 01:46 am:

Hello :)

I'm wotking with a Soyo motherboard (SY-SSM), which has everything but the modem built-in.
The video connection to the motherboard is broken.
I bought a new PCI Video Card and plugged that in, but the monitor won't come on.

I figured there must be a jumper onboard to tell the bios where to look for the card. I'm looking for advice. It would be great if someone had the jumper diagram for this board.

Of course, I could be wrong and maybe this board has to have the onboard chip.

Thanks,

Doug Davis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By InfiniteZer0 on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 11:06 pm:

NO, you can definately add a PCI video card to any standard mainboard. the trick in some cases is to look in your bios, find out which video device your system will use first at bootup. in other cases you will have to go into windows with the old card plugged in and install it from there as a second video card... once it is installed go to your display properties ( with the old onboard card still plugged in to the monitor ) and set the new card to be your "primary monitor".. next apply the changes, at this point you should be able to plug your monitor in to your new card and see your start menu and other desktop icons,

good luck doug!

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page