PersonaL Firewall

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: PersonaL Firewall
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Gerrie on Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 08:51 am:

Hi, Folks

Does anyone know if any good FREE Personal Firewalls are available?

Any assistance in this will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Gerrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 11:25 pm:

Hi Gerrie,
ZoneAlarm is one of the best free Personal Firewalls. I have been using it for a couple years now it its been doing a good job blocking a lot of unwanted intrusions. You can read about it here thier website.

http://www.zonelabs.com/download/index.html

ZoneAlarm is free for individual and not-for-profit charitable entity use. Scrool to bottom of the page.

Hope this helps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By longlashes on Monday, June 03, 2002 - 04:19 pm:

Hi,

I downloaded the ZoneAlarm also but I am hearing mixed messages about having a firewall in the first place. Others tell me I don't need a firewall because I don't have any secret files on my computer that others might want. Having had 206 intrusions and 26 probable hackers in this last week alone, what I am asking myself is what are they looking for. What I am asking here today is, do I really need one if I only use my pc for personal use and do not have a web page nor do I have an FTP program. Thanks so much.
longlashes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Gerrie on Saturday, June 08, 2002 - 10:02 am:

Hello Folks
Thanks for the info and advice!

ZoneAlarm seems to be great.

Warm regards

Gerrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By neuguy on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 01:30 pm:

Hey, longlashes. How do you check to see if you have had intrusions, or hackers after your machine"? neuguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By longlashes on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 07:27 am:

Hi neuguy,

The AVG firewall program that was recommended here will tell you who's been snooping around and will even give you the name and location of the culprit/hackers. Go with AVG Firewall Protection for this. It's user-friendly, meaning not difficult to figure out and it's FREE. For the link, locate the keyword search to the left of the window here at Newbie under DOCUMENTATION and type in AVG and you should be able to find the link for downloading it or either use your search engine to locate the site for downloading by typing in AVG.com Hope this helps you. longlashes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By longlashes on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 07:33 am:

AMENDMENT For neuguy,

Sorry, It's late and have been on the PC for a while. AVG is a Virus Protection Program and ZONE ALARM is the Firewall Program. That is what you need. It's FREE also. It will do all that you reqire. You can search for the link here or use a search engine to find the site to download from. longlashes

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page