Phone line engaged even with no power.

TNC Discussion Board: Hardware Concerns: Modems: Phone line engaged even with no power.
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Computer comes on when phone rings  1   10/18 02:52am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jackymax on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 02:23 pm:

As soon as I connect the socket to my phone line it ties up the line, even before the computer is plugged in!
Also when computer searches for the modem it finds it in comport 4 but can't seem to find the modem when it tries to connect.
This is my first computer. I am currently using webTV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 06:25 pm:

jackymax:

This sounds like something may be wrong with your modem. But first, verify the cord that you are using to plug into the modem is "ok". Plug it into the jack, then plug the other end to a phone. Check for dialtone.

Also, be sure that you are plugging the cord into the proper spot on the modem. Some come with two jacks, one for the line, and one for the phone. However, plugging it into the wrong one wouldn't affect tying up the line, but it would keep it from dialing out.

My first thought though is that your modem may need to be replaced.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jackymax on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 12:43 am:

Hi Josh,
Thanks for your reply. Checked that cord is ok.
Having looked through a very technical book that came with the computer, I think the socket is for LAN, but there are another 2 sockets further down the tower.
My mum has just had this system custom made for me by 'a man who can' so it should be in full working order. She believes my inexperience is the problem. Any further ideas or info would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 05:08 pm:

AHA!

Yes, very good, you figured out the problem. A network card (LAN) has a plug on it that looks just like a regular phone jack, but it's made for network cable only.

The "2 sockets further down" is the modem. Put a flashlight down there (or look at it in the light), and you will see one of those sockets labeled phone, and one labeled line. Plug the phone cord into the one labeled line. I think that you will find this will solve your problem.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jackymax on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 09:33 pm:

THANKS JOSH!

I am writing this from my new computer! The Newbie Club is now the first entry on my 'favorites' list.

Jackymax.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page