How to move saved e-mails, to a folder?

TNC Discussion Board: Downloads, uploads, file transfers: How to move saved e-mails, to a folder?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Bob ODonnell on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 04:00 pm:

Does anyone know how I can take e-mails that I save in my AOL file cabinet, and transfer them into a new file folder in my C-drive. I know I save too much stuff, but would like to keep some e-mails for later use. Joe has taugh me how to copy to a Floppy disk, but I would prefer to save in a file folder? Thanks very much...Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 04:59 pm:

I saved this from an ezine as my Dad's thinking of switching:
========
One way to save those precious emails would be to go through each email and forward the ones you want to keep over to your new address.

Another method is to open each email then "Save As" an HTML file in a folder on your computer. If it is just a text email, you could just copy the text (Ctrl+C) then paste (Ctrl+V) it into Wordpad then save as a text document.

continued in next post ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 05:00 pm:

continued from last post ....

Another option is to save the contents of the Personal Filing Cabinet to disk or a back-up folder on the hard-drive. Here's what to do:

Open AOL, click "Email" on the toolbar, then select "Personal Filing Cabinet". You can also access your PFC off-line by selecting "Customise" on the toolbar and then "Personal Filing Cabinet". On the list of folders, right-click on the very top folder (normally called Email) and select "Save Folder As..." from the pop-up menu.

Browse to find the required location where you want to save the file enter a name that you'll remember. Don't use your screen-name as the file name—this could really mess things up. Click Save. Follow this same procedure for any sub-folders in your PFC. This should also work with your "Favorite Places" folder.

continued ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 05:00 pm:

... from last post

When you switch ISPs, keep AOL so you can still access the files. The PFC is accessable offline, so you should be able to open it even if you no longer subscribe.
=============

Hope it helps!

Dianne Reuby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Bob ODonnell on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 04:26 pm:

Just wanted to thank Dianne, dreuby, for the tips on saving e-mails from the file cabinet. A BIG HELP! Thanks, Bob

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page