How do I download large amounts of data?

TNC Discussion Board: Downloads, uploads, file transfers: How do I download large amounts of data?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 07:56 am:

I have Windows XP with CD-RW capability and I use AOL.

How do I download a massive amount of data from a website, without knowing the amount of memory needed? Please go step by step!

Would an antiviral program like McAfee, tend to block or frustrate the downloading process, even in the absence of any viral presence in the downloaded software? Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 09:53 am:

If you're wanting to download large files, I use a download manager as I'm on dial-up. So I can restart if necessary, also the manager "splits" the file into sections and downloads them all at the same time, so it's quicker.

I use LeechGet, http://www.leechget.de because my firewall and virus checker support it. I was previously using Fresh Download, from FreshDevices http://www.freshdevices.com/ - I just switched when I changed firewall.

Let me know if you want more help :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By anonymous on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 10:48 am:

Hi dreuby,I really appreciate your time and help. I haven't tried your method as yet on my first question, however, with respect to my second question, I was wondering if you or any one out there, had any knowledge of the reputation of Mcafee viral scan, in terms of it being "difficult", in allowing the downloading of large amounts of other software?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 03:16 pm:

It shouldn't stop you - unless the file has a virus, of course!

Can you tell what happens when you try to download?

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page