Bad crash

TNC Discussion Board: Downloads, uploads, file transfers: Problems with my computer: Bad crash
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Sig on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 07:07 pm:

One day I turn on my NEW VAIO SONY LAPT... I got the following on the screen:

file missing or corrupted
Windows root system 32 hal.dll

Now the lapt is dead!
What happened? What should I do?
MicroCenter, where I bought it says that teh warranty does not cover this sort of problems.
They charge $95 to look at it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 07:26 am:

Try booting to Safe Mode (press F8 when the msg "Select operating system" shows on your screen).

There are several Safe Mode options - you could try "Last KNown Good Configuration" which will load Windows with basic drivers (don't worry if your screen looks odd, with huge icons, as it will be running with the basic Windows screen driver).

You could then run System Restore (Start > Help) to see if you can get back to a "good" version of windows.

Have you added any software or hardware?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 07:35 am:

hal.dll is something to do with "hardware abstraction layer" so if the file has become corrupted, you may need to do a windows repair, using your Win CD. The MS knowledge base mentions the file in several places, but all the articles sound like fairly advanced stuff - it doesn't seem to be a common problem.

MS knowledge base:
http://support.microsoft.com

MicroCenter sound really helpful - I'd make sure and tell your friends :(

Dianne R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Sig on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 10:05 pm:

Many thanks...I was forced to pay the $95...

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page