Can I safely download MP3 files?

TNC Discussion Board: Downloads, uploads, file transfers: Can I safely download MP3 files?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ann Singleton on Friday, October 07, 2005 - 08:12 pm:

I recently found I could download a transcript from a TV program to MP3 but my husband cautioned me against it. I am out of the loop for MP3. Now there is going to be informative material given away thru a newsletter I am taking. I would really like to have this information and I would like to find out if I can safely download, then listen to this material on my computer. I plan on buying a MP3 player in the near future but I can't right now. I feel like such a newbie about something that is so much a part of a segment of our populations lives. I don't know where to go to ask. Thank you for your help on this. Ann

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 03:15 pm:

You have to be sure of two things - is the download from a place you can trust, and is the copyright OK.

Make sure your virus checker and firewall are both up to date, and make sure the site you're getting stuff from is safe. For example, if it's a large and well-known TV company site, it's probably OK. And if it's a transcript of one of their programs, then the copyright is OK because they're supplying the file.

If you're not sure about the stuff from you newsletter, email them and see what they say - if you have known them a while, and their reply seems reliable, you're probably safe.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page