Web Page Download???

TNC Discussion Board: Downloads, uploads, file transfers: Web Page Download???
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
E-books  15   10/21 04:39pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Robert Dillon on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 07:43 pm:

Greetings all,

I'll get right to it... I am curious about setting up a file or product such as an eBook so visitors can download it from my web page.

I'm getting fairly confident with html so I just need some pointers to get started (step-by-step not required).

Regards,
Robert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 10:48 pm:

Hi, me too!
a really great site is http://www.ebookcompiler.com/

you can download their software free to try before you buy, and his site has all the info including tutorials, marketing, community. Newbieclub use his software for their ebooks, I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Perkins on Thursday, February 01, 2001 - 11:29 am:

??? Have Win 98. Wish to download from Web on A drive (3/1/2) floppies. ???How step by step

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Perkins on Thursday, February 01, 2001 - 03:01 pm:

step by step web download to A drive?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, February 01, 2001 - 08:03 pm:

Perkins:

Here is how to download a file to A drive.

Get to the webpage that has the link to download the file. (If the file is larger than 1.4 megabytes, it will NOT fit on a floppy.)

Click the link to begin the download. A window will pop up asking to "run from location" or "save to disk". Choose save to disk and press OK.

A new window will pop up with "SAVE AS" at the top. This is where you tell it to save the file to the floppy disk. (Make sure your disk is in the drive.) Click the Down arrow next to the "Save In:" menu at the top. Select 3 1/2 Floppy from the list.

Click the save button. That is it. When it finishes, the file will be on your floppy disk.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Friday, February 02, 2001 - 07:12 am:

Robert Dillon: How to set up a web site and link to let your visitors download files.

When you create your file, upload it to your web site. The file can be in any folder, just so you know the URL to it. Now then, when you make your text link, create it as you would any other text or even image link. When you name the file for download it will have any extension EXCEPT HTM; HTML; SHTML. For instance, if you have an e-book, most of these will have a .exe extension, lets go with that for know.

Create your link like this http://yoursite.com/your/download/file.exe when a web browser sees this extension it will default to the download screen and that's that. It's really not complicated at all, just make a link to the file and bingo! your done...

HTH
Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Marion F. Shean on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 12:41 am:

I am a Windows 98 user and have made up a web with M.C soft pulisher. I understand I need an extention for it to load to the host. what would the extention be. Help me on this MF Shean

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 07:07 pm:

The standard extension for web pages would be either .htm or .html

Either should work - .htm is left from when Windows only allowed 3-digit extension codes, the more common extension now is .html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Marion F Shean on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 01:50 pm:

thanks dreuby, My problem is more than that. I have been trying to post my web site to the host but I just don't no how. Ever time I try to add "web folder" I get a window that says "TYPE the location to add" This is where I get stuck. The one that is hosting my site did put up one page for me but I had to send it to them by E/Mail attachment. (Under construction page) what I need is information of how to mantain a site. Can anyone give me some guide lines on this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 03:40 pm:

This will depend on your host. Some allow "FTP", File Transfer Protocol. This means using a program to copy your pages from your PC to the web space - popular programs are FTPExplorer, SmartFTP, WS_FTP. All these are similar to using Windows Explorer - a window showing your hard drive, a window showing your web space, and you drag-and-drop your files to copy ("upload") them. Your host will need to give you the access info - your user name, password, and server name.

Your host may also, or only, allow you to upload stuff by logging into their website and using their online software to copy files from your PC to the web space.

Who is your web host?
Dianne Reuby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Marion F. Shean on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 05:55 pm:

I have signed with Adirondack Web Host

M F Shaen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 12:29 pm:

I can't access their forum or helpdesk as I'm not a member. But they don't mention using their interface, so you should be able to use an FTP program. You can get FTPExplorer, which is what I started with, from http://www.ftpx.com

Here's an online tutorial page for it:
http://www.pagetutor.com/pagetutor/makapage/upload.html

You'll need to know your server access name, something like host1.adirondack.com - they should have sent an email with these details, or check the Help Desk on their home page. Also your user name and password from when you signed up.

Let me know if this doesn't help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Marion Shean on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 12:59 pm:

yes it helpted! although when I did upload my pages I got a failed message, it did list the size of the doc. so it looks like my pages were all there. incidentally I used (ftp://ftp.aaawdhosting.com) to get to the host.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 08:54 pm:

So do your pages show up when you try to visit your site using your browser (Internet Explorer, or Netscape)?

Give us the link so we can all visit! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Marion Shean on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 12:53 pm:

No just my construction page. Could it be that I have to take this off before I can post my other pages. and how do I do this. here is my home. htp://www.lastchancepublishing.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Marion Shean on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 12:58 pm:

a correction of course you aready new this. http://www.lastchancepublishing.com

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page