Media Player - Napster Query

TNC Discussion Board: Downloads, uploads, file transfers: Media Player - Napster Query
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Restoring e-mail files  1   04/17 09:50pm
WINMX  1   02/09 09:39am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 07:38 pm:

Hi All,

As i get many problems with my computer after running Napster I have decided to delete it. What I would like to know is, can I move the music files from Napster into Windows Media Player so I can keep them and play them. If so, how is this done? I have about 124 songs that I would like to keep but assume that if I delete the Napster program the music files will be deleted also. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks folks

Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 10:22 pm:

Arline:

Napster will not delete your music files. Depending on where you told napster to save them, you will need to find where they are.

They are probably in c:\program files\napster\music, but I could be wrong.

Try searching for them:
Start/find/files and folders. Make sure C: is selected for Look in. Then, for file to find, use *.mp3

That will find all of your mp3 files. Create a folder on the desktop and drag and drop the files into that folder. Then move your folder wherever you want it. That way, you can be sure they will be safe during a napster uninstall.

To play them in Windows Media Player, just start up the media player and file/open, browse to the folder where the files are, and select them.

To make it where the music files play with media player when you double-click them:

Click once on the music file. Then hold down shift, and right-click on it. Go to "open with..." Select "Windows Media Player", then check the box that says "use this program to open this file type", then hit ok.

That will fix that.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 02:15 pm:

Hi Josh,

Thank you, your instructions worked a treat, I now have all my music in a folder on my desktop. The next query I have is, how can I get them to play continuously so I don't have to go into the folder each time I want to play them, I like to leave the music playing while I work and it is a bit of a pain having to reload them one by one, all suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks a million for all your help.

Arline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 11:09 pm:

Arline:

I haven't a foggiest. I would try creating a playlist... saving it with your files in there.

Sorry, I don't use Micro$oft's media player, so I just am not sure.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 03:56 am:

Thank's for your honesty Josh, I only use MS Media Player because it came with MS SE, if you can advise me of any other media players that are available, that are maybe easier to use i would be a very happy lady.
Sorry, I forgot to tell you, I have not been able to upgrade my hard drive yet as my motherboard can't support the size I wanted, but I am still building the family tree and have kept the instructions you sent me for future use.
Keep up the good work Josh, your willingness to help us newbies with your knowledge is a breath of fresh air to us all. Thank you.

Arline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 12:00 pm:

Arline:

Once again, thanks for the kind words.

I don't have media player on this computer, but I believe you can start it up, then click on one of the options at the top (Where File is in the top left). I believe the third option down, click it, then chose Search or find. Then, get it to find all the mp3's on your computer. Select the Directory you want it to start in (the folder on your desktop) and hit start. It will import all of your files, and they will be there when you start it up again.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but just don't have it here. But there is an option of finding your media files... use that.

As for an alternative, I like Winamp and Sonique. Sonique is awesome looking, while Winamp is very easy to use, and looks good too.

http://www.winamp.com
http://www.sonique.com

I believe Winamp is the easiest media player to use, but I don't have experience with Windows media player to give any argument for its side.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 12:01 pm:

Arline:

Got so tied up in the Media stuff that I forgot the hard drive. You can always get a 2 gig drive and add it to your current drive if you run out of space.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 06:19 pm:

Hi Josh,

"Oh Dear" have I had a couple of bad weeks. The power unit decided to give up the ghost on my pc, so I bought a new case and found that it didn't have the same connections as my mother board. Needless to say I bought a new mother board that would fit. This new one was faulty, which being a "newbie" I didn't know, and eventually I had to put it in for diagnostic repair. All was explained to me by the "nice gentleman" who sold me another mother board and repaired my pc for me, I have now got my pc back, "but" it is totally clean, all the months of work I have done has now gone, I have to start all over again, what I am trying to ask you is, "where do I start" all over again, I am at a loss at this moment in time.

Arline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 01:03 am:

Arline:

You are using the same hard drive, right? Unless the person who fixed your computer reformatted the drive, you should be able to get to the data that is on it.

Man, in hindsight, I wish you had let us know... whenever you change any hardware on your pc, there are lots of compatibility issues to take into consideration. Sorry you had such a rough time.

I don't understand why your disk would be reformatted unless that is what the company that fixed it does by default...which doesn't make much sense. Are you sure you don't have any info on your drive?

If not, we can re-setup everything, but you will have lost all of your work.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Sunday, March 04, 2001 - 08:04 pm:

Hi Josh,

Please call me stupid, it does apply in this instance, but when I put my pc in for repair I did ask the "nice gentleman" to clean it up for me, I didn't realise he would take it to mean reformat, but that is what he did, next time I will know better.
I have a habit of printing off most of the addresses I get from the net, so needless to say I have reems of paperwork but this time it has paid off, I have been able to get back most, but not all of the things I need to start over.
I am however having trouble with my scanner, it doesn't want to calibrate any more, it is a Genius Colourpage-Vivid Pro 111 USBv1.1.0 and I don't know how to correct this problem so I can start over with the family tree for my grandchildren. If you have knowledge of this scanner, I would truely appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks Josh,

Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 02:36 pm:

Arline:

I am not familiar with that scanner brand. What type of error is it giving you? You might want to check the manufacturer's website:
http://www.geniusnet.com.tw

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 03:59 pm:

Hi Josh,

Thank you, I went to the web page you sent and have been able to get support via e mail from the company. As my scanner has disappeared from my pc completely now it could take a while to get it up and running again, I will let you know the outcome asap.

Arline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 03:20 pm:

Hi Josh,

Please disregard my last posting, I have recieved a further reply from the company. I have been told to read my computer manual to change the BIOS or get in an engineer.
What I don't understand is why I need to change the BIOS when the scanner was working perfectly well before as it is. Can you please explain to me the need for this. I am really confused now, I assumed that once it was working that would be it, it would carry on working with no problems, or am I so ignorant about computers that I have missed something here.

With gratefull thanks,

Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 06:55 pm:

Hi Arline

Chances are the re-format wiped the drivers for your scanner. What the manufacturer is suggesting isn't necessary regardless.

First go to the Control Panel and uninstall it (if you can't find, don't worry). Then use Add New Hardware (Control Panel) to re-install it.

During the Add Hardware dialogue, you will be asked to select the scanner from a drop down list or provide another location for the drivers. If you don't see it on the list, cancel the process and download the appropriate driver from the driver page of the manufacturer's web site, which is here (the site's partly in Chinese but don't bother downloading Chinese Character Display if asked by your browser). Then restart the Add New Hardware process. When it asks you for the location of the new driver, simply navigate to the file you just downloaded.

Incidentally, the driver files on the site are exe files, which suggests they will be self installing. If so, just install them as you would any other program and run Add New Hardware.

If that doesn't work, post back.

Cheers

Jamie

edivision

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 01:17 pm:

Hi Jamie,

Welcome back, its nice to see you again.

I have done all that you have suggested above but the scanner programm still won't go past the "please wait while the scanner calibrates" stage. When I hit ctrl-alt-delete, it has "prog not responding" and I have to end task.
I also have the installation CD which came with the scanner and have tried to reinstall with this but to no avail. The BIOS has been checked and that is fine.
I have tried to use the scanner with, Photosuite,
Kodak Imaging, Photo FX, Paint Shop Pro 5 and Adobe Photo Deluxe 2 which is on the installation disc. In each case the scanner goes through the warming up process in the Twain window then tries to calibrate, this is where it stops responding.
If you have any ideas what I should try next apart from using the scanner as a ships anchor, I would dearly like to hear them.
Well done on your web site.

Cheers Jamie,

Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 02:54 pm:

Arline:

Go to control panel, add/remove programs... uninstall the scanner software. You will also need to uninstall any twain drivers.

Once done, right-click on my computer, go to properties, look for scanner in the list. If it is there, right-click and delete.

Restart computer with scanner un-attached.

Reinstall your scanner software, being sure to follow the exact instructions.

Reboot with scanner attached. It should detect your scanner and install drivers.

Try scanning using your scanner software, not any third party stuff. See if it works.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 05:16 pm:

Hi Arline

Glad you like my site!

OK, I've just read through the whole thread.

1. Napster has a bug that causes it to freeze under certain circunstances if you try to play back files you've downloaded. Trick is, don't use Napster's built-in Media Player. You should still be able to use Napster without difficulty (if it hasn't closed dow by now).

2 For my money, the best media player is Win Amp. But apparently versions after 2.65 are not as good. I've got an earlier version and I'm not updating it. You could also try Music Match at www.musicmatch.com. Personally, I'm not a fan of Windows Media Player 'cos it takes up too many resources and is a bit buggy.

3. To play tracks continuously you need to create a playlist as Josh mentioned. All of these programs have this facility but they vary in implementation. Explore the Help file.

3. The point Josh made re. starting with the scanner unattached is an important one. Did it do the trick?

Cheers

Jamie

www.edivision.co.uk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Thursday, March 15, 2001 - 04:19 pm:

Hi Gentlemen,

Lo and behold, a large envelope dropped through my door this morning containing new CDs from Kye Systems UK Ltd. They are new installation discs for my scanner. With great joy and anticipation I sped to my computer, along with my Daughter, who knows a lot more about them than I do. We turned the computer on and waited with baited breath, and guess what? Up popped the registry checker, again and again and again etc:- As I am at a loss when it comes to the workings of the computer I will let my daughter, Sarah, take over the sad tale from here.
i fixed the system registry just by reloading windows, and found out that the spare hard drive suddenly had bad sectors appear on it since the new mother board and processor were put in at the shop, but as for the scanner, well what can i say,
the cd isnt readable for upgrading the drivers only for a complete new install, the problem is when the scanner has warmed up and is calibrating, it stops responding, if we escape the warmup program it will access the scan progam without calibrating and scan as normal,
having installed the new drivers, this problem went throught the warmup, through calibrating and stopped at the actual scan, having read somewhere that there is a program fault with amd processors over 350mhz and scanners, we downloaded the fix for this program which hasnt made the slightest bit of difference, the new drivers have also decided to crash out the photodeluxe program along with it, any assistance would be very grate fully recieved,
we have tried various ways of loading the drivers, from a single boot, cold boot etc, with and without the scanner connected, and this hasnt made any difference to the problem,
look forward to hearing from you
have a nice day:)
sarah

Your expertise is dearly needed Gentlemen.

Yours despondently

Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, March 15, 2001 - 05:25 pm:

Arline and Sarah:

You need to first address the hard drive problem. Run a thourough scandisk and see if it can fix any problems with the hard drive. If there are issues that cannot be resolved, then try using a utility for the hard drive from the manufacturer. This would be a utility to check and repair disk errors. What brand do you have?

As for the scanner... I dunno. It is true that the new motherboard could be causing a problem, especially if it has the AMD 750-751 chipset. However, if you have installed the patch for this problem, then that should no longer be an issue.

Once agian, I reiterate the very important point that you totally uninstall all scanner related software, reboot un-attached, reinstall, reboot attached. I have "fixed" several scanner and digital camera issues by making sure those steps are followed. However, you sound like you have tried that.

Try following the steps above, but use the OLD software cd-rom. Now that you have patched the AMD problem, that may fix the scanning issue with the old software. Try that and see what happens.

Be sure that you right-click my computer, go to properties, click device manager, and remove anything that mentions scanner. Do that after removing software but before rebooting the first time.

Anyone else is more than welcome to offer advice...

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom Glander on Thursday, March 15, 2001 - 11:45 pm:

I'll back what Josh says. Read carefully. Take the steps. See what happens. And good luck. I know luck has nothing to do with it, but sometimes, a little good fortune is a good thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Sunday, March 18, 2001 - 05:17 pm:

This is obviously a little bit more complicated than I first thought.

From what I can gather, you've added a new hard drive (or at least the shop has).

Josh's advice is good. But here's something you need to be sure has been done. There's various stuff that happens when you start up your computer, the majority of which you never see. One of these processes identifies what's called the Master and, if you have a second drive, the Slave.

The Master is what all programs will try and access. If it's not there, the programs won't work. So, when adding a second drive that you want to make the Master (usually because it has a larger memory) you need to make sure the Jumper settings are set correctly. Lost you? Here's what I'm talking about.

The 'Jumpers' are little switches that are either on or off (no surprise there then). But they are physical switches that are actually on your hard drive unit. They need to be set in a certain way to ensure that the new drive is set as the Master. The point I'm approaching in a very roundabout way is, are the jumper settings correct?

Sarah, if you're comfortable with Techie stuff, check out winmag.com and run a search on jumper settings etc. (I've got an article somewhere, but can't find it - sorry).

Alternatively, take it back to the shop and get them to check them.

What Josh suggests is correct. But it still won't do any good if the additional hard drive hasn't been installed correctly. Sorry not to be more helpful. But it's very puzzling that the scanner isn't working even with the correct installation disks.

Keep posting Arline. Nothing's defeated us yet (and, never forget, the people employed by the likes of PC World etc are not always right (found them out a few times myself!!!)).

HTH

Jamie

www.edivision.co.uk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sarah on Thursday, March 22, 2001 - 08:52 am:

this is sarah,i have managed to get the scanner working but have a problem with another one, the printer worked fine, it is a monochrome olivetti, i have just installed a scanner to the computer and the scanner works brilliant, but everytime i try to print off it the printer is sending out computer language rather than the image wanted, any ideas as to why???
thanks
have a nice day:)
sarah

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, March 22, 2001 - 02:34 pm:

Sarah,

Good to hear the scanner is working.

The other problem is not the scanners fault, and probably not the printer either.

1. Make sure that the computer is not mistakingly printing to a default printer that is different from the one that is hooked up:
Start/settings/printers. Check and make sure that the printer with the "check mark" is the printer that is hooked up to the computer. If not, just right-click on the correct printer, and choose "set as default."

2. If the above is not the problem, make sure the proper drivers are installed for the printer. Start/settings/printers. Double-click Add New Printer, select local printer, and select the proper name from the list. If it is not in the list, click the "have disk" button, and install the drivers from your printer installation disks.

Hope that helps...

Josh
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gary Kendall on Thursday, March 22, 2001 - 06:59 pm:

hi again. this problem is upgrading windows media player. tried to upgrade last nite, is it supposed to thru the download files? anyway when I went to download that's what came up so I went with it and everythig seemed to be going fine, it took some time to download of course and I thought it finished but maybe I lost the connection and didn't realize it. Anyway when i looked in my download files it wasn't there and everytime I tried to download it after that I got the Bad address and/or error 404 I don't remember I just know I had zero luck with this. What happened? Also if it goes into my download file does that mean I have to go to that file to run the media player? Thanks, Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, March 22, 2001 - 08:22 pm:

Gary:

You need to make sure that you are using win98 and not win95. Media Player 7 will not work with windows 95.

Next, if you have downloaded the file, then it put it somewhere. You just need to find it.

Click once on the desktop and press F3. That will bring up your "find files" window. Search for "wmp7.exe" without the quotes. As for search directory, click the pulldown menu and select "local hard drive(s)". Then click Find Now. If it finds something named exactly "wmp7.exe" or "wmp7[1].exe", then double-click it. That will start the setup program. Once it is installed, it will put an icon on your desktop to help you find it again.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Friday, March 23, 2001 - 06:22 pm:

Hi Josh,

Sarah has my scanner working but each time I scan I can only scan once, then the scanner goes back to "please wait while the scanner calibrates" and ceases to work, I don't know if this is right or not, but I have to close down the program, take out the lead to my scanner, put it back in and start again, at least I can scan my pics now but it is a bit longwinded, if you know how I can change this to scanning without closing the program each time I would be very grateful.

If anyone else can give advice I will owe them a pint or two.

Cheers,

Arline

PS, The printer and scanner Sarah mentioned in the last letter are not mine, they belong to a friend of mine.

Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Friday, March 23, 2001 - 06:41 pm:

Hi Josh,

Sarah has my scanner working but each time I scan I can only scan once, then the scanner goes back to "please wait while the scanner calibrates" and ceases to work, I don't know if this is right or not, but I have to close down the program, take out the lead to my scanner, put it back in and start again, at least I can scan my pics now but it is a bit longwinded, if you know how I can change this to scanning without closing the program each time I would be very grateful.

If anyone else can give advice I will owe them a pint or two.

Cheers,

Arline

PS, The printer and scanner Sarah mentioned in the last letter are not mine, they belong to a friend of mine.

Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Friday, March 23, 2001 - 06:49 pm:

oops,
sorry for the duplicated query, the pint or two applies to you to Josh.

Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Saturday, March 24, 2001 - 12:24 pm:

Arline.... off the top of my head, I am not sure why it is doing that. Gimme some time to work on that one.

As for the pint or two....a pint or two of what? :)

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 06:04 pm:

Hi Josh,

Take your pick, Lager, Beer, Ale, Wine etc: but at this point in time i'm almost ready to give blood, sweat and tears.

The few pictures I have managed to scan I wanted to put onto the 1 gig second hard drive which I wanted for storage for my work, but, I can't access it. I have done a scan disk and defrag on it and have found a lot of bad sectors on the disk which weren't there before, on the scan disk I now have several million bytes in bad sectors, this has all happened since I put the pc into the shop for repair. I don't understand what has gone wrong or why I can't access the hard drive.
I have contacted the shop but the "gentleman" who repaired my computer no longer works for the company and they won't accept any liability for work done by him, so where do I go from here?

Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 02:30 pm:

Arline:

If it's not one thing, it's another. Ok, the hard drive problem is more serious than the scanner one. What is the brand of the old hard drive that you have?

If you are not sure, when you reboot the computer, write down the information that it lists in this area:

Primary IDE Master: XXXXX
Primary Slave: XXXXX
Secondary Master: XXXXX
Secondary Slave: XXXXX

If the screen is not on long enough, press the pause/break button which is next to the F1 - F12 keys. Or, just keep ctrl-alt-del -ing till you can get it all written down. Then, post that information here.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 01:55 pm:

Hi Josh,

It sure does seem to be one thing after another, (maybe I should learn to play the violin instead,) but until then! well, here goes another session with this recalcitrant pc of mine.
The problem with the slave hard drive has been cured, its been cleared and formatted and seems to be in fine shape now, it was working on FAT16 and the new drive is FAT32 so it has been changed to FAT32. I am now able to store my work on it, so hopefully there shouldn't be any more problems. The information you asked for is:-

Primary IDE Master: Fujitsu MPC3043AT
Primary Slave: Compaq CRD-8161B
Secondary Master: None
Secondary Slave: Maxtor 71670 AP

It would seem the only problem now is the scanner, but it is usable, just, so I will keep working on the Family Tree and call in here each day to see if you have been able to come up with anything.

May I say a big "thank you" to you for all the help you have given and patience you have shown to me.

Regards

Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 11:05 am:

Arline:

The problem of the bad sectors has been fixed? That is why I wanted that information, so that we could fix that problem, because it is much more serious than the scanner issue. But if reformatting fixed it, then great. It is good to get some things going your way when problems keep occuring.

As for the scanner issue, I am at a loss. I don't understand why it is doing that. All I can figure is that something is not installed properly. And, if you are brave enough, I would consider repeating the removal and reinstallation instructions in the previous posts to see if it will start working. It just doesn't make any sense that it will work one time, but not any after that until a reboot. That is a software issue, not a hardware issue.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Elaine on Sunday, April 15, 2001 - 02:33 pm:

I too have a scanner problem. I have a hewlett-Packard jetscan 5P. The Lettering print is too big and I cannot reduce the size. As a result too big lettering takes more room and I don't get a completed paper. There must be a way to reduce the font size, but don't know where. help. thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 03:50 pm:

Elaine, this is a software issue. You need to look at the software program you are using, and check out the settings for Scaling. This needs to be set at 100% I think...that will keep the document the same size on paper as it is scanned in.

HTH

Josh Lowe

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page