Run a DOS file in Windows

TNC Discussion Board: Downloads, uploads, file transfers: Run a DOS file in Windows
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By newbie on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 05:17 pm:

I downloaded an ebook and saved it to disk.
It is an exe file in folder on the desktop.
When I click on it to open it and run the message is "this program cannot be run in DOS mode."
So How to change it to run in Windows98 and why did it come it come in DOS in the first place?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 02:36 am:

RE: EBook

I suggest you go back to the site where you found the e-book and download it again.

Try opening it after and see what happens.

Catchup

Wayne's Worlds

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom Glander on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 11:32 am:

The ebook could have been uploaded using the wrong protocol. If a Windows based ebook is uploaded in ASCII format using an FTP client, you would see the "Cannot open in DOS" error when you try to open it after downloading. Windows ebooks should always be uploaded using FTP clients set in the Binary mode, since these ebooks always contain graphics, which are binary files.

I know, I've experienced this problem myself!

Okay, shooting over the heads of Newbies here, but now you know.

Take care,

Tom

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page