Connection Speeds

TNC Discussion Board: Downloads, uploads, file transfers: Connection Speeds
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 02:16 pm:

Hi everyone!
Please can someone help. When I actually do connect (!!) the speed of bytes received and sent keeps changing. Is this normal? Sometimes they are slow, at 302, but recently they have jumped up to 19,000,000 plus and I dont understand what this is about!! They semm to increase the longer I stay on. I do know that my modem is 56000bps? and I am on Windows 98!!
Can someone please explain the bps process and any settings that I should have my computer on (or troubleshooting!)
Many Thanks in Advance.
I for one am thankful for this site.
Cheers :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Glenn on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 10:01 pm:

Hi there Anonymous :-). I assume by the numbers your showing that your talking about downloading, not connection speeds! (19,000,000+) would be awesome! A little more detail will help. where are you seeing these speeds? understand that download speeds can change drastically, whereas connection speeds usually stay constant. Explain exactly what you are doing when you see these numbers and that will help figure out what's going on..Have a great day!! Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 03:15 am:

Anon
I think what you are seeing when you hover your cursor over your connection icon by the clock is bytes sent and received, not the speed. For example, right now mine shows 86477 bytes received and 36803 bytes sent at a connection speed of 38666. The sent and received will increase the longer you stay on line during that session. If you shut down and restart you will notice that the numbers have decreased.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 04:45 pm:

Wow! Prompt Response,I am impressed! Even my family don't respond THAT fast (hehe)
I think I panicked a bit because I had never noticed them before. Yes, they are at the connected icon. At present they are 918679 received and 102087 sent @ 56000bps, not quite as high as yesterday (19,846,354) and I am pleased about that! At least I think I should be?
So could you please explain how they work for me as I am a newbie! Well, technically I am even though I past my CLAIT basically I feel I have only learnt the typing, basic English side of computing!! I still dont know the basics of how things (puter) works!!
I thoroughly LOVE this site. It is so helpful and friendly, not to mention prompt and funny at times. I for one shall be recommending you to anyone I know who is ever in need and will be telling all of your site! :0)
Many thanks and continued success
Corrine
(a.k.a A shy Anon!!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Glenn on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 06:56 pm:

Well hi Corrine! Richard may be able to explain this better, but I'll try! What you are seeing is bytes of data being sent & received. When you are online, data is constantly being sent back & forth between your p.c. and whatever website your currently on. which means the more you "surf"..the more data being transferred..the more bytes you'll see displayed. It's normal, and nothing to worry about. Hope this helped! Have a great day!..Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 10:13 pm:

Corrine,
No need to panic, everything is normal, as a matter of fact this information on bytes sent and received is of no practical use for you and I. Ignore it. The connection speed can change depending on a number of things including how good your phone lines are, how busy they are and how many people are logged on to your Internet Service Providers Server. As you and I have no control over the connection speed, all we can do is gripe to the ISP if it gets too slow or change ISP's. Not an option for me as I live out in the country where there is one ISP available unless I want to pay long distance charges. I wish I could get your connection speed of 56,000, my best ever was 40,000 and normal is 38,666.

In short, don't worry yourself about it, there are no settings to change, just continue to enjoy your computer and remain inquisitive.
Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By corrine on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 11:18 am:

Hi Guys (all)
Although my teacher wouldn't be very pleased, that is going in my book of "funnies!". You would have thought I knew that!!
This awesome (or was it forever troublesome!!) machine that stands before me shall be conquered!! And with this site I, and I know many others feel the same way, we shall succeed. I have lots to learn and shall enjoy it all. I guess it is in the more you practice too.
I have only one thing to say:-
"YOU ARE THE GREATEST LINK", many thanks.
Corrine

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page