Downloads wil not open and install becaues of the open with

TNC Discussion Board: Downloads, uploads, file transfers: Downloads wil not open and install becaues of the open with
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Download not producing a file  1   04/15 04:17am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mike on Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 12:25 am:

I have a complicated problem.I have 98w 6.0ie norton utilites and virus and cleansweep.My problem is downloading files . Ihave tried all the many ways that are possible to downloading. Such as open at site of download or save as target by r-clicking and all of these things do not work. Everytime I get the download to my desktop I get the Open with. Which of course won't open any file. The file I'm trying to load is exe. file . I have tried closing down everything except sys tray and explorer.Instead of getting the little box icon with packgaging I get the micrsoft flag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 03:57 am:

Mike,
Have you tried this? When downloading, click on "Save to disk", remove the check in "Close this window when completed", then when download is completed, click on "Open" in the download box. You might also try disabling Norton before downloading, I understand that sometimes Norton identifies some downloads as a possible virus and interfers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mike on Friday, May 03, 2002 - 05:27 pm:

I would like to uninstall ie 6.0 I am convinced that this is my problem. I must have some kind of file that is corrupt or screwed up. What is the best way to uninstall?Will I loose all my settings in Outlook and all my favorites?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Friday, May 03, 2002 - 09:57 pm:

Mike,
Go to start/setting/control panel/add-remove, scroll down until you find Internet Explorer 6, click on it once to highlight it, then click on add/remove, a window will pop up asking what you want to do, one of the options is "repair" you might try that before you give up on IE6. Or you can click on remove, then on OK and it will un-install IE6 and revert you back to whatever version you had before IE6. You will not lose any settings in OE or your favorites.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page