How Do I UPLOAD an Ebook (.exe file) so others can download?

TNC Discussion Board: Downloads, uploads, file transfers: How Do I UPLOAD an Ebook (.exe file) so others can download?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Terri B. on Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 12:42 pm:

Help, anyone!

Can anyone please tell me (in very simple, 'virgin-computer operator' terms), exactly HOW to UPLOAD a simple E-book (.exe) file to my website, so that others can download it EITHER by clicking on a link from an Email, OR by going to a Download Page (that I'll need to create), & clicking a download link there? I'll need to be able to set them up Both ways.

I've only uploaded full web-pages before to my site, so I don't know how to upload just a separate file to my site that's not part of a webpage. Would I first SAVE the .exe file somewhere special on my harddrive, like in the same Folder as my website files? Or another place? --Or do I first need to create a New Folder to Save the .exe file in (& maybe place that New Folder INSIDE my website Folder), then Upload that New Folder w/ the .exe file inside? Then, what to NAME the New Folder for the Upload, so it turns into an "http://" address?

Any step-by-step directions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, --Terri

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Bayani Luis on Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 06:20 am:

In addition to Terri's message (I'm also very much interested in the answer to her question) could someone please show me (step-by-step) how to set up a download page so that I can give away free e-books?

Thanks a lot.

Steve
gervacio@dgte.mozcom.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 10:29 am:

Hi Terri and Steve
You upload your ebook file just as you do your web pages - either with an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) program, or by using the web-based utility that your web space host provides.

Where you keep the book on yoour hard drive doesn't matter, as long as YOU know where it is - I keep mine in my web site folder, so I can find them easily, and I can see exactly what I've got on my site without logging on. If it's a free book, you don't have to worry about "burying" it in several folders so it can't be downloaded without being paid for. You may want to keep it in a seperate folder just for your own sake, so you can find it easily - that's up to you, and how you like to organise.

You'll need a link to the file so people can download it. You use an anchor tag, but instead of "pointing" it at another web page, point it at your ebook file:
a href="myebook.exe>Download this book</a
I've left off the first and last "<" signs as I'm not sure how this message board shows them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Wayland on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 08:11 pm:

Hi Terri and Steve,
I have a ebook business where people pay $3.00 and download the ebook. The software I found helped me was the Free coffeecup zip software.
I saved a page I named downloadit then I uploaded the page to my website. Then when I want a file people can download I use the Free coffe cup software to zip my file then I open my downloadit file and save the zip file. Your link to give people the zip file will look something like this. Http://my site.com/downloadit/my zip/htm

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page