ANY OTHER FREE FTP PROGRAMS...?

TNC Discussion Board: Downloads, uploads, file transfers: ANY OTHER FREE FTP PROGRAMS...?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By lionlamb on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 08:08 am:

I went to the Website Builder's info on FTP and tried downloading the FTP LE (freebie)version. It downloaded fine but said I couldn't qualify to use it because: I am not a U.S. employee, student, or non-business home user.

Trouble is, I AM a non-business home user. I've sent them emails but yet no answer.

IS there any other FTP programs out there that you know of anyone?

I don't want to pay for the PRO version without first trying out the LE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 08:58 pm:

Try this page for some help:

http://newbieclubhosting.com/ftphowto.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 12:31 am:

Also, if your heart is set on using this program, when it asks for address, be sure to use a US zip code, such as 90210, and a US city, state.

Then, it should install fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 02:51 am:

Here is another place you can go to get a good FTP program. www.ipswitch.com I have been using it for 2 years with no problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By lionlamb on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 07:12 am:

Thanks a million fellas - I appreciate your advice, God Bless.

Actually, Josh, my heart is not set on using this or any other FTP program, I was just going by what was recommended on the Website Builder Course - I'm open to any advice or info you Wise Ones have for us Newbies...

Let me know if you have any other preferences .

I think Richard mentioned ipswitch.com?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By lionlamb on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 11:45 pm:

By the way, what basically is the difference between an FTP program and a File Manager...?

I've seen sites offer both FTP OR File Manager choices...I thought a web site could only be uploaded to the server via FTP. Is there another way?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 09:17 pm:

FTP is a program independent of any software on the server. It interacts directly with the FTP server machine.

A file manager is more of a web-based method of altering content on a site. For example, if you choose to edit index.html, a file manager will open a page in IE or netscape which has a large text box with all of the HTML code for you to make changes and save on the fly, through the browser.

Sometimes it's convienient when you need to make a quick change to a page.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page