How do I change file association for GIF extensions?

TNC Discussion Board: Downloads, uploads, file transfers: How do I change file association for GIF extensions?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Sandy McClaren on Saturday, May 25, 2002 - 08:35 am:

I have a new file called signatures. It is full of animated signatures with the GIF extension. They used to be saved in a program (can't remember which one)where I could click on the GIF and it would open right there in the folder so I could see it. Somehow they got changed to the Microsoft Paint program and had to open in Paint. My son just installed a CD and apparently Quick Time was also installed along with it and now all my GIF's open in Quick Time. Does anyone know how to change which program my GIF's are opened in? I have Windows 98 second edition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Saturday, May 25, 2002 - 09:35 am:

Here is what help shows:
To change which program starts when you open a file

In My Computer or Windows Explorer, on the View menu, click Folder Options.
Click the File Types tab.
In the list of file types, click the one you want to change.
Click Edit.
In Actions, click Open.
Click Edit.
In Application used to perform action, enter the program you want to use to open files that have this extension, and then click OK.
Note
The settings for selected file types are shown in File type details.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Sandy on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 05:12 am:

Thank you Richard for this information. It worked. Guess I should learn to use HELP more often. Sandy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 09:54 am:

Sandy,
You are very welcome. Glad I could help. I think all of us forget to use the Help function from time to time. ;o)

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page