Download ebook to floppy

TNC Discussion Board: Downloads, uploads, file transfers: Download ebook to floppy
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
"Not enough space" on floppy for download  2   10/21 01:57pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tsr on Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 06:43 am:

Can I download ebooks to 3.5 floppies? To save on HD space, if so how. and how do I figure out how much floppy space I need per diffrent size ebooks? If you figure all this out, I salute you. thanks, tsr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 10:30 am:

I'd download to HD first, as that will speed up the download, and then move them to floppy afterwards.

A floppy will hold 1.44Mb of data - so if you load Windows Explorer and find the ebook file, check what size it is. If it's small enough to go on a floppy, and many will be, just move it to the floppy (you can cut and paste, or use right-click and "Send to").

If it's too big, you'll have to zip or compress it, and if it's already zipped, you can "span" it over several floppies. Your zip program should tell you how.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tsr on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 07:24 pm:

Thanks dreuby, I been a tad slow getting back to you. I have times that keep me away from this gizmo. tsr or neuguy, whoever I am.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Bistro Manovill on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 06:28 pm:

If I download to the HD first, how do I send it to my downloads folder in "My Documents?"
Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 08:56 pm:

Ebooks are just files - so you can move them or copy them just like you do your other files. I Windows Explorer you can use copy and paste (or cut and paste to move), or right-click and use "Send To", if the folder is on your "send to" list. Or you can drag-and-drop onto the folder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Bistro on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 04:56 am:

Thank you Dreuby. One other question: do eBooks take up a lot of space? Should I try to read them and delete them quickly?
Thanks, Bistro

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 03:03 pm:

Ebooks can be small or huge - just like other files. If you look at the files for your ebooks in Windows explorer, you can see the file size of each one, and decide whether to keep them on your hard drive or not.

If they're free, you'll probably be able to download them again if you need them. If you've paid for an ebook, do keep a copy safe as you may not be able to get a new copy without all your payment details, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Bistro on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 05:20 pm:

Thanks again, Dreuby. I appreciate your help. I hate to ask this, but do you know how to download and open zip files? I tried, was unsuccessful, and now stay away from them.
Thanks, Bistro

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 04:42 pm:

You'll need an "unzip" program. WinZip http://www.winzip.com is the most well-known, there's also one from the Newbie Club http://www.unzipsoftware.com/newbieclub/index.htm

These are both shareware - try them, and if you like them buy them.

If you want a free unzipper, I use ZipGenius http://www.zipgenius.it/ Another place to look for free unzippers is http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/freeware.html

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page