How do I down size a picture or script while scanning ?

TNC Discussion Board: Printer, Paper, Ink: Q&A: How do I down size a picture or script while scanning ?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 12:52 pm:

I am using "Imaging" for my scanner (and I have Windows 98 )and when I scan a picture or script it is HUGE.. I can zoom it down to save it or send it out across the net but when it is received it is HUGE again.. How can I down size it and have it stay that way ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 08:08 pm:

Use a lower resolution setting when you scan, if you are only scanning the pictures for use on the web or send by email, the highest resolution that you need is about 72dbi, or use a picture editing program that will let you "Save for the web" or "Smart send". Two programs that I use are MSPictureIt and Ulead Photo Explorer. A free one that lets you re-size images is "Irfanview", put that in a search engine and it will find the URL for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Eva on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 07:11 pm:

Thanks Richard... I'll try to put in a search for "irfanview" and see if I can get the free one ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Eva on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 07:23 pm:

Ok- Richard , I put it in and I found one that looks like it might be what you are talking of.. It is called " Irfanview-Freeware Graphic Viewer"..Now what do I do with it ? Just click on it and then it loads itself, or what? I am a dummie..!! And then how do I use it when I scan some picture to send out on the net ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 01:54 am:

Eva, have you downloaded and installed Irfanview? If so, it should have put a shortcut icon on your desktop and it will also be listed in your Programs list (probably at the very bottom). Double click on the icon to open the program, then click on "Help" (on the top tool bar of Irfanview), read the instructions and it will tell you how to use it. If you haven't downloaded it yet, check the next message.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 02:04 am:

If you haven't downloaded it yet, go here:
http://www.irfanview.com/
When the page opens click on "English", that will take you to another page, look on the left side and click on "Download", another page will open, click on the one with the "4 cows", select your State, then pick the closest one to you, a box will appear asking what you want to do, click on "Open", when it completes the download (on my dial-up connection, it took about 7 minutes), then just keep clicking "Next" until it finishes.
Once that is all done, follow the instructions in my previous message. Don't feel like a "Dummie", none of us were born knowing these things. ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Eva on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 07:02 pm:

Hi Richard,
Did you give up on me ?
I tried what you said and it went through like you said.. Then I MASTERED the picture down-sizing and then sent it out across the net.. AND it stayed small , like I wanted it to . Next I saved the file and checked in on it and it was STILL small , the way I wanted it .....yippeeeee....I did it.. Thanks to you ....Eva

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By HotPuppyF on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 07:54 pm:

Eva, Good for you. Its always nice when everything comes together isn't it? Glad I could help out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 07:57 pm:

Danged if I know where that "HotPuppyF" came from, must be ghosts on this site. It is getting close to Halloween.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page