Bought 1st website builder-dont know where to start

TNC Discussion Board: First Website Builder: Bought 1st website builder-dont know where to start
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By german on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 08:30 pm:

can anybody give me dir. where to start-in what order,etc.
Thnak you, Alex.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 06:40 pm:

Start with the HTML tutorial - you'll need a text editor (like NotePad which comes with Windows) and your browser to view your web pages as you create them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By german on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 11:07 pm:

dreuby,
just want to say Thank you! for taking the time to answer
Alex.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By George Lutz on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 09:49 pm:

I'm a newbie squared. I'm working with Joe Barta's Pagetutor.

I'm afraid I'm technically challenged. Here's the problem I'm experiencing (background: I'm using Windows XP, Internet Explorer 6, and Note Tab Light):

-- In Lesson 1, After following the instructions for creating a very basic webpage, I can't open the file to review my results.
-- Still in Lesson 1, Joe suggests, "The best way to use this tutorial is to run Notepad (I'm using Note Tab Light, as Joe recommended) and two instances of your web browser. One browser window containing this tutorial and the other containing your new page. Just toggle between the three windows." Regardless of Joe's further instructions, I cannot figure out how to open "a second instance" of my browser, so that I can toggle between the Pagetutor, my new page, and a 3rd page thru my browser.

Please help me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 02:36 pm:

If you choose "File", then "New" and "Window", IE will open a second window for you to load your page (or the tutorial). You can then choose "File" and "Open" to load the page you want in that window.

Happy site building - let me know when it's ready so I can be one of your first visitors!

Dianne Reuby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By John Moffat on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 04:03 am:

I'm in very much the same boat as George Lutz - and here I was naively thinking this was going to be all staight-forward and completely idiot-proof. For starters I couldn't unzip pagetutor 'into' my new folder, so have to search for it each time I need it, but nevertheless I can live with that.

But what's starting to burn up my patience is that the 'notepad light' I've downloaded as instructed doesn't seem to bear any resemblance to the one Joe describes, nor does it behave the same way, so I'm unable to save or view my first pitiful attempt at a website page. Could anybody please walk me through this version of notepad that I'm not supposed to have?

Also, I'm afraid I don't understand Dianne's instruction to choose 'file', 'new' and 'window'.
How do you choose 'window'?

I've got to say it's a little depressing to have run into this much trouble so early in the piece. Does it get any smoother, or should I be thinking about a refund?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 03:50 pm:

Hi John - don't get downhearted, just call in here and ask anything that you want to. :)

Here's a screenshot of NoteTab light - http://www.firstwebbuilder.co.uk/notetab.jpg
(it's blurred because I've reduced the quality so it will load a bit quicker).
The main grey area (it will be a different colour depending on your PC colour scheme) is where you type your code.

The tabs above the ruler are the open files. The yellow section on the left is the "clip library" - I've got the HTML library open at the moment. Choose libraries with the tabs at the bottom of the screen. You don't need to use this section at all to start with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 03:50 pm:

File, New, Window - in Internet Explorer, click on File in the menu bar at the top of the screen. The pop-down menu has "New ..." - put your cursor over this, and another menu will pop up. On this "sub menu" choose "Window" to open a new IE window. If you aren't using IE, tell me what you use to browse and I'll try and give you more info.

Let me know what else you want to know!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 05:29 pm:

Forgot to say that the tutorials page has some useful stuff too:
http://newbieclub.com/tutorials/

Dianne Reuby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By John Moffat on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 02:58 am:

Thanks Dianne - you've saved my bacon. I'm embarrassed to say I'd taken a wrong turn and was going from bad to worse. Sorry for spitting the dummy. I just hope you don't regret making that extremely generous offer of further help.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By John Moffat on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:18 am:

Dianne,
I'm afraid yesterday's optimism has soured already. The only way I can retrieve my pitiful page is to load Notetab as the two seem to have become fused together ( there is no E logo anywhere with the file I need). I managed to file page 1. html to the desktop but whenever I click it I get a message saying Windows is unable to open this - select the program that saved it, but Notetab doesn't appear in the browser.

Also you make opening the three windows seem so easy but I'm still stuffed if I can do it. It seems to me that all this would be much easier if, when following the instructions, things happened as they are supposed to, but they don't. A prime early example is with the instructions for saving page1. html. It seems Joe is looking at a different screen than I am.

Am I beyond help?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 12:20 pm:

Which version of Windows are you using? If you're not sure, right-click on My Computer, and choose "properties".

Saving your page - when you save, make sure there aren't any gaps in the filename. If you're saving as "page1. html" the gap will mean Windows is trying to open a file with the filetype of
" html", and it doesn't know what it is. You can change the file name by right-clicking on it and choosing "rename", and then typing it as you want it to be.

Can you tell me which chapter and which ebook of the three you're on? I'll see what my copy has.

Dianne Reuby
http://www.swindonvirtualoffice.co.uk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By suresh on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 01:59 am:

Can someone advise me on how do I import templates from another site so that I can start to edit them for my use. I am using Notepad light.....thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 08:34 pm:

I usually create two new folders (directories) for a new website. In one, I keep a copy of the template before I've done anything to it. That way, I've always got an unedited copy if anything goes wrong! In the other I keep copies of the pages I've created from the template - a complete copy of my site.

Download the template(s) you want to use - if they are "zipped" you can click them to start downloading to your PC. Or you can right-click and choose "save as", and save them to your hard drive.

To edit your template, unzip it if necessary to the place you want to keep it. Open it in your text editor. After you've edited it, make sure you save it to a different folder, or with a different name, and that the file type is "html".

Dianne Reuby
http://www.swindonvirtualoffice.co.uk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frank Harris on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 10:09 pm:

I bought Web Site Buider some time ago, and managed to work my way through all of it until I got to the stage of up-loading the pages to the net. That lost me completely.
I subsequently bought the follow up package, Joe's Super Mini site Wizard etc. Unfortunately I have no idea what to do with them.Can any one offer any assistance?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 06:31 pm:

There are two ways of uploading, depending on what your web host allows. Most allow web-based uploads - you log into their website with your user name and password, and use a "Windows Explorer" type interface to drag stuff from your PC to their hosting computer.

The other way is with an FTP program - these ahve a similar interface, but they are stored on your PC. So you connect to the net, load your FTP program, log onto your host with your password and user name, and then drag the files from your PC to the host computer.

If you want more info on FTP programs, shout ... !
Dianne Reuby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frank Harris on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 09:36 pm:

Thanks for replying Dianne, I have come to terms with up-loading site now.
Any feed back on my comments on Joe's Super Mini Site Wizard etc
Regards

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 09:43 pm:

I'm not sure what that is - is it the stuff that comes with First Web Builder?

Dianne R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By PAM on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 08:36 pm:

CAN ANYBODY HELP ME W/ JOE'S SUPER MINI SITE BUILDER? I CANT FIND ANYTHING TO SHOW ME HOW TO GET STARTED.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By carol white on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 04:50 am:

Can someone help me in building a thank you page that my download for my product will work i have tried everything and can't get it to work
Carol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 08:33 pm:

What's the problem with it? Do you get errors, etc?

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page