Brand new

TNC Discussion Board: First Website Builder: Brand new
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Good Place To Build A New And Free Website  5   10/31 01:30am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom Glander on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 08:58 pm:

This is a brand new product released just for Newbies. Created by a Newbie who did it herself with completely free tools. This section is for feedback, ideas, etc. related to that product.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 08:45 pm:

Hi folks,

My son bought me 2 web addresses for my birthday.Please can you tell me what I do with them. I would like to use one as a family site but i haven't got the faintest idea what to do with the other one, but I just don't know where to start or what to do.
Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Arline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 09:16 pm:

Hi Arline,

Use one as your family site, and the other, keep in "storage" until you decide what to do with it. It will come to you with time as you develop your first website. And if you haven't taken a look at First Website Builder, you should. It's written just for Newbies. Just click here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy Rotering on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 11:09 am:

Hi
I bought the Books - Have read through it & now going back step by step. Lots of good links & info - I've got the basic html down - I understand the business concept - sponsors/affiliates etc. My problem is that I still have so much trouble with terms & a few things that are probably very simple - like file vs directory - how to create the second page and even understanding how to use some of the free stuff that I down loaded like *Gozilla*

If I were to make a suggestion to improve it , I think I would include a web term dictionary - (jeez - maybe there's one & I missed it?!:))

Will keep working with it.
Candy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 07:18 pm:

Tip: Used to be that there were no "folders" on a computer. Only in a desk drawer! Then someone at Microsoft decided it would be easier to call what use to be known as a directory, a "folder." Now we have files and folders. The file is the bit that's stored in the folder. And again, folder and directory are used synonymously. But file and folder are not.

As for Go!Zilla, well, it's nice. But there's nothing wrong with organizing yourself and downloading using the Save As dialog that Windows throws up when no "helper" applications step in to do the job.

Take care,

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jodywest on Saturday, December 16, 2000 - 01:37 am:

Hi,
I have the same problem with not knowing what should be expected or provided with a domain name.
If I have several sites...can I use that domain name on all of them??
I would appreciate any information that you could give me....completely in the dark.
JWE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 07:58 am:

RE: Domain name;

Basically what you get when you register a domain name is the right to call it your's for as long as you keep up the rent payments on it.

No, you can't use your domain name at more than one site. You can, however have more than one domain pointing to the same site.

In order to use your domain name you have to setup some kind of hosting server. There are more than one way to do this but, commonly you would contact a hosting service and they would rent you space on their server.

Wouldn't you know, thats one of my many talents.
You can see more at my Site
Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Barbara Credille on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 05:08 am:

Can I purchase a domain name and use space on my own server to host it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 05:46 am:

Barbara:

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this??

If you have your own server set up, of course you can host your own domain name...
If you are referring to a 'virtual' server, that is, web site space on a rented server you can host your new domain name on that server space by requesting the service from your web hosting service.

If you require server space we would be happy to accomodate you at Wayne's Worlds

Anyone can host their own web site from their PC, however it is not recommended because of the limitations that are imposed in doing so. If you are doing this with a standard dialup connection you will only be able to have 4 or 5 people at your site at a time and your site would be VERY slow...

Technically it is possible to host your own site, every computer connected to the Internet has it's own IP address and this is what is required to initiate the URL to a web site.

But like I said it is very limited and not recommended.

Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 03:55 pm:

Catchup, you are right. One more addition to that:

Unless you have a static IP address, you can't do it on your own computer. Normally, when you connect to internet using Dialup (and some ISDN, Cable, DSL), you are assigned an IP address. This changes each time you connect online. Because this changes, you could not have a domain name lookup a specific IP address, because you don't have a static IP.

Man, that sounds confusing, so let me try again. Unless you are sure you have a static IP address then you cannot host your own domain name. You can find out what your ip is by clicking "start, run", then typing 'winipcfg' without the quotes and hitting enter. Write down the ip address. Disconnect from the internet and reconnect. Run the same program above. Notice the different IP addresses.

A domain name is a friendly way of getting around typing IP addresses to get to websites. You could type in an ip address and get to the same site, but it is harder to remember. So unless you have a fixed number, you can't host a domain name.

Ok, that explanation was better. :)

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By capullen on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 02:29 am:

Hi all. I'm working on my first website. Have
dumped two different hosts in 4 months because of
poor support. Current host ValueWeb has good
support but an e-mail program that is inadequate
and inflexible.
I'm looking for an e-mail program that will be
easily comprehended by a Newbie yet will offer
everything needed to build a professional
business site.
Someone has suggested Eudora. Is that the best
route?
Thanks for reading this windy question. Capt Charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 06:09 pm:

Hi capullen:

I have never used Eudora for email, so I am not sure how user-friendly it is. I have used Outlook Express and Outlook, and although they are not the easiest programs to master, they are both easy once you get the hang of them. Outlook express should be installed on your computer right now.

Sorry I can't be of more help,

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 10:31 am:

I've been using Eudora for over a year and I like it - I'm using the "sponsored" version which has a small ad box (about 2" square), but includes spell check, etc. The paid and lite versions don't have ads, but the lite doesn't have spell check. You can upgrade to different versions easily.

I find it easy to use, and the help and tutorials are fine. Also lots of help on the web site.

It's probably a matter of personal preference here - I didn't like Pegasus, which my husband thinks is great, he doesn't like Eudora!

I didn't want to use Outlook as I'd heard a lot of rumours about it being especially vulnerable to viruses, and as I'm a newbie I didn't want to take any risks that I couldn't recover from.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Sunday, June 03, 2001 - 04:31 am:

Dreuby:

True about outlook (and outlook express to a degree) being vulnerable to viruses. But how in the world can you use Eudora? YUCK! :) Like you say, personal opinions are what counts with email programs.... try a few to find which one fits right. For some it's Eudora, for some it's Pegasus (double-yuck), and for others it's outlook or netscape mail.

And I just made a totally worthless post.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Capt on Sunday, June 24, 2001 - 12:44 am:

Hi Josh and Dreuby and thanks for your input.

I have no "yucks" for Pegasus nor Eudora but I
have looked at N.S. Composer and frankly I have
had the devil of a time trying to figure it out.
The "help" section doesn't look like what's on
my screen.

In particular I haven't been able to figure how to
use the Address List.
I'll take a look at Peg and Eudora to see if
either is simple enuf for me. Capt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Karl King on Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 01:26 am:

I have a problem. I purchased the First Website
Builder and the download will not open. Window
opens that says the zip file is damaged. Have not
heard from wecare@newbie yet. Does anyone know how to get this to open?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 01:46 pm:

Sounds like the file didn't download correctly - you'll probably need to download it again.

Dianne R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By supernova7 on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 02:09 pm:

I don't know about Netscape mail program but I had simply horrible results from Outlook Express which I downloaded twice in attempts to be able to use it.

It tried to take over my computer -(just like Hal the Monster Computer in 2001 Space Od).

Endless freeze ups. Had the same thing happen with Hotmail when I first got my computer. I wanted to send my new computer back but through endless searching, found it was Hotmail alright. Its a shame because I loved it otherwise.

Then someone suggested Eudora (I got the sponsored mode because the advertising wasn't intrusive at all in my opinion).

I find it a bit less easy to understand and get use to at first, but it is reliable and I find, just as complete as O.E.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By supernova7 on Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 05:32 am:

Hey out there, I'm r-e-a-l-l-y new at this web site building thing but I love it...

Question is I'm testing out my links through my browser but so far I'm not linking to anything - get that "This page cannot be displayed.."

I am assuming that they actually won't link until I've uploaded to a server, right? Is that it? Huh? HELP ME ANYONE OUT THERE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 05:45 am:

Hi,
While you are testing a link you need to be connected to the Internet, If you are and the link doesn't work you may have missed something.

Check this site,
http://library.thinkquest.org/15074/htmlmain.html?tqskip1=1&tqtime=0327

Scrool down to
External, "Internal and Mailto Links" there you can see examples of links.

Hope this helps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Teresa on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:45 pm:

Good Afternoon,

I am hoping someone can show me the big picture. I understand about getting a domain name, that you build a website, host it. What I don't understand I guess is the technical side. How do you keep the accounting aspects? Is this built into the site? If it is built into the site, does it then communicate with your computer or you go to the site to see your accounting? Do you have another email list/account hooked up to the site? If you drop/ship, does the order get routed automatically to the drop shipper. Does this all get taken care of if you buy dreamweaver or some other web building tool? Or do you buy a program like dreamweaver and then have to acquire other programs? What special computer programs must you have if any to run an internet business? I see a lot about marketing, not a lot about the nuts and bolts. I just can't seem to glue this whole picture together in my head....

Thank you for any information.....

Teresa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 11:18 am:

If you have paid hosting, you'll be given a number of email addresses, which you can forward to personal email addresses, so that (for example) sales@mysite.com goes to the sales dept, help@mysite.com could go to the support team, etc. If you're working alone, you can still do this and simply sort incoming emails with your email program. You also should get a "catch all" email address, so that if someone sends to an email name that you haven't created, it will be forwarded to wherever you want it to go.

Paid hosting may also include a pre-built shopping cart, and instructions for using it.

A web building tool will simply help you build a web page - depending on the code that you put into the page, you could get a plain page, a shopping cart, a sales letter page, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 11:26 am:

Before you get out your wallet and buy a lot of stuff you may not need, make a list of what you want your site to do.

What you will certainly need is a browser, a plain text editor, a graphics editor, and an FTP program to copy your web pages from your PC to your web space. I'd recommend learning HTML before you get an HTML editor - the basics are easy to grasp, and then you'll know whether you want to go on to the more techie stuff like shopping carts, or budget to pay someone to do it for you.

I'd recommend the Newbie Club Builder, if you haven't got it - there's an excellent HTML tutorial, plus a lot of other software that you'll find useful, and of course the ebooks themselves.

Post any more questions here!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Teresa on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 07:07 pm:

Thanks so much for the information. So, the newbie website builder as an example. This just builds the page. I build this on my own computer and when ready, I launch it off to the site host.
so, what computer requirements are there, if any.
I am today getting direct connection (DSL) because this dial up is slow as molasses in a freeze. I have also looked into dreamweaver (ouch $$$) and see that I don't have enough memory I think it is(no, not me, the computer!!!)....Now I wonder should I buy a stick of memory or buy a new computer. I have windows 98 and am wondering if I should upgrade to windows xp. Honestly, there really is a lot to this. I am so computer illiterate and that makes the already difficult, more difficult. I do sense that I should learn HTML. I have so many questions. Accounting? How does that work... I'll just stop myself now.......... Thank you Dreuby for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 08:52 pm:

Dreamweaver has a lot of bells and whistles that you won't need straight away. A basic HTML editor like the one included with the Builder package will be enough to start with. It needs Win95 or later, Pentium 75Mhz or better, 15 Mb hard disk space, Internet Explorer 3 or later. Check your system by right-clicking "My Computer" and choose Properties. I used it on Win98 dial-up with no problems.

The Newbie Club builder won't build your site - but it will teach you how to build it yourself, and how to copy it onto your web host, how to write good web page content, and lots of other stuff. There's some stuff about selling on line too, and I'll try to find some more info for you.

Dianne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By JGK on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 12:46 am:

Hello all. Great info. I have a domain name.I am not sure what I need for features. CGI scripts, dedicated IP, Perl. PHP etc. Is there a glossary of terms and what they can be used for anywhere?

What would I need if my site looks like this…
Page 1 home page /date/text and 2 pics and a menu
Page 2 A form they fill out to send me -key goal for site: get them to call me)
Page 3 A glossary of terms
Page 4 A description of Real Estate problems
Page 5 A page to estimate mortgage payments (ideally a calculator)
Page 6 A contact me page
Page 7 A page for input /articles from visitors
All with a template with frames along the bottom/top and side with a small pic in the frame.

I am balancing whether to get TNC course or just pony up $50 at Godaddy to use their web site builder program ($15 and 35 “licensing fee for 1st site)….any thoughts???

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 05:19 pm:

http://webopedia.com/ is a good place for terms etc.

Learning to create your own site will give a more flexible approach in the future, but will take longer than a builder program.

Check what the builder allows you to have - the max number of pages, interactive calculator, forms etc.

You can find some tips here:
http://www.firstwebbuilder.co.uk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Marie on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 09:11 pm:

I have recently purchased "First Website Builder" and have downloaded it. In Book 1, "How a Newbie Built a ..." she mentions Joe Barta's Web Tutor that takes 8 hours. When I go into Pagetutor there are numerous exercises and lessons. Where do I find the 8 Hour Web Tutor and where do I start?
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 11:35 pm:

I've noticed that a lot of this Newbie Club stuff is aimed at windows 95&98.
Is the 'First Website Builder' my best option for a 'newbie' using the latest XP set-up???
My goal is a website to sell info products & affiliate links for the likes of the 'Newbie Club' products.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page